Craigslist find = New project 10ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Craigslist find = New project 10ER

Post by rpd »

joebob80 wrote:
Parts question with photos - I tried looking for these, but didn't have any luck. SS product page is only useful if you know exactly what your looking for.
There won't be any 10E/ER specific parts on the SS product page, they were made three manufacturers ago.

The bolt that holds the tailstock to the pivot base is 1/2"-13 tpi x 1-3/4 low, socket head cap screw
Tailstock bolt1.jpg
Tailstock bolt1.jpg (961.89 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
Tailstock bolt2.jpg
Tailstock bolt2.jpg (593.13 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
Tailstock bolt3.jpg
Tailstock bolt3.jpg (633.44 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
Similar to the shoulder bolt for mounting the jig saw, but no shoulder.

Looking on line I am having trouble finding an exact match.
I did find this Door Striker bolt, which looks similar but longer.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/nee ... /5706602-P
or you could use a regular hex head bolt.

Note these were only used on the later tailstocks with the long bracket extension tables, the earlier ones with the shorter bracket used a had a knob similar to the one that holds the extension table to the tailstock, but shorter.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

More like 5 manufacturers ago(not counting RLF). SS inc., Magna America, Yuba, Magna tools, Magna engineering.

OK also ignoring Magna tools make that 4.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

JPG – Yes, I’m missing the spring and detent. The manual has it listed as “Indicator Button”. Also, thanks for recommending the washers. This explains how the deep grooves got on the table where the miter gauge would slide. I took a look and from what I could tell, the pivot shoulder is recessed and doesn’t make contact with the miter bar. I’m thinking of trying a washer under both the clamp and pivot as long as it still stable on the table.

John – Thanks for the photos! This really helps. I originally thought I could use the spring and steel ball I took out of a spare miter gauge, but it’s the wrong diameter and doesn’t lock accurately on the angles. Guess I will use it as is for now. =(

Ron – Thanks for the photos and specs. I was thinking the bolt may have been used in later models is the reason I was looking on the product page. For now I will just get a hex head bolt.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The later M5 segment has no shoulder and does have a washer at the pivot.

John if you are following this could I infringe on thy patient helpfulness and ask you to measure the detent pin length and diameters as well as the spring id/od.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joebob80
Gold Member

Post by joebob80 »

Any of that would be great!!!
Attachments
20200629_130002.jpg
20200629_130002.jpg (115 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:The later M5 segment has no shoulder and does have a washer at the pivot.

John if you are following this could I infringe on thy patient helpfulness and ask you to measure the detent pin length and diameters as well as the spring id/od.

Spring
OD .240
ID .184
L .475

Pin
L Dia .248
S Dia .184
L .311
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

joebob80,

I am glad to see your restoration coming along. Sorry I have not been on here but today is the first time I have caught up on reading these posts since returning from vacation. Ron, John and JPG seem to have the help you needed well in hand.

For the Miter, the spring can be replaced by finding one that fits. Just not to soft of a spring and could be cut to length if a longer one is found. The pin is the difficult replacement. If anyone wanted to make some I'm sure they would sell. I would buy one for the extra Miter I have that is missing it. As has been suggested Miters come up for sale often but generally complete ones. There were only two Miter versions that came with the Model 10's. Yours is the second and most common one.

The Tailstock Bolt comes up for sale once in awhile. You can use, as suggested, a regular bolt plus a washer, in the mean time. You could try contacting ebay sellers that regularly sell Shopsmith parts to see if they have one. Do get the one shown in Ron's pictures which does not block the Extension Table from being lowered all the way down.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:The later M5 segment has no shoulder and does have a washer at the pivot.

Spring
OD .240
ID .184
L .475

Pin
L Dia .248
S Dia .184
L .311
One more dimension would be helpful.(pin L2)

Oh and thank you for all you do!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Spring
OD .240
ID .184
L .475

Pin
L Dia .248
S Dia .184
L .311
One more dimension would be helpful.(pin L2)

Oh and thank you for all you do!!!!
I am assuming you mean the length of the small diameter that inserts into the spring. It is .12. Hmm, maybe not the one you meant. It is easier to get a good dimension on that one than the one in Joebob80's diagram.

I gave it a try and the L2 dimension on Joebob80's diagram is also .12. Hard to get an exact measurement on either dimension but it should be close enough.

You are more than welcome, no problem.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hmmmmmm!
m10 miter gauge detent pin.jpg
m10 miter gauge detent pin.jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝