cranes with chicks.jpg
cranes with chicks.jpg (173.25 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
Bill V
amboyna
Gold Member

Re: sandhil cranes with chicks

Post by amboyna »

Very cool.
I use to see hundreds of Sandhill Cranes in SE Oregon years ago. Not anymore though.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Learning to hate them. They love to stand on the road in front of you and stare you down. Then after they are satisfied that they have inconvenience you enough they sloooooowly walk off the road. Happens nearly every time I see them. I am not the only one they stopped three cars yesterday. I think they moved off the road and had a grand time laughing it up.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Learning to hate them. They love to stand on the road in front of you and stare you down. Then after they are satisfied that they have inconvenience you enough they sloooooowly walk off the road. Happens nearly every time I see them. I am not the only one they stopped three cars yesterday. I think they moved off the road and had a grand time laughing it up.
Canadian geese do the same thing here in Ohio. I always gave them plenty of time to stroll leisurely off the road. Then one day I was driving through the countryside on a secondary highway. There was a gaggle of geese in the oncoming lane, and a bright red Peterbilt semi was bearing down on them at about 65 mph. The geese didn’t yield. Neither did the Peterbilt. About two seconds before impact, the geese all fired their JATO rockets, and every one of them cleared the truck. My conclusion was that they can move amazingly fast, when they’re motivated. Which I’ve gotta believe the Peterbilt driver knew all along.