Sketchup Pro

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Sketchup Pro

Post by dusty »

I finally made the transition to Sketchup Pro after years of using the free edition. I expected it to be a breeze. Guess what! There is a real learning curve. Maybe it is because "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" but there is a curve.

Here is my first attempt. I am planning to add a headstock next. The alignment disk and arbor hanging there in free space is intended to be a test of precision. I do the individual elements as separate items and then move them into place. If the pieces fit...I smile. When they don't...well...

Carriage with Table Legs and Tubes.jpg
Carriage with Table Legs and Tubes.jpg (142.8 KiB) Viewed 7019 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Sketchup Pro

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I really need to give Sketchup a try. Every time I look at it I get a brain freeze! Need to push past it...
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I have used the free version of Sketch-up for years but have always not been able to justify the price of the Pro version. But now it looks like they have changed their pricing model to a subscription base. I looks kind of confusing. Which plan did you get? Can you use it offline?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I bought Sketchup Pro (for web and desktop) at $299/year.

Yes, there is a learning curve and for me it is somewhat steep. I have long dealt with a perspective issue and drawing challenges me. But, I enjoy it now that I have time to spend on something that I just scrap. One of the fringe benefits of being retired. It is a powerful program. Much more than is needed for typical Shopsmith projects...but then not all Shopsmith projects are typical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I thought the base package of SketchUp was still free but you now have to access it online (no local copy install of the software). If you want to work offline and/or need the added features of the higher level packages like the Pro edition, etc. then you have to pay on a yearly subscription model now. They have a promotion right now - promo code is "1YEAR120" which gets you the Pro license for only $120 for a year.

Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take them to phase out the free version. I've been wondering that ever since Google sold it to Trimble.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/06/trimbl ... -sketchup/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The last I checked the 2017 version was the last free version. Yes they have an online version but other then the very basic sketchup that is pretty much useless for most users.

The problem with the online version is that it doesn't support plug-ins and most users have at least some a few that they find they can't live without. Without actually counting I have to guess I have at least 20 plug-in that I use all the time.

I have had the trial version of 2020 up for a couple of weeks, you get a month for free so while I haven't gone to deep into it I haven't seen many changes to the basic function. I don't do real designs as when the trial goes away so do those designs, well unless you buy a copy, otherwise you can not edit them with 2017.

I have never used the other two programs that come with it so I can't say what changes are in those. The 2017 edition that is free doesn't have those available to use so I just never looked at them.

I still don't see the reason for changing as much as they do for hobbies and will hold out for as long as I can to the free version. Fusion 360 has a free version for hobbies which I should try to learn sometime but I find sketchup more to my liking but maybe not at $300 a year.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, what is not clear to me is what happens to the free download versions from the past, e.g. if you have the 2017 SketchUp Maker version (free download) will it continue to work? Is it just that support (bug fixes) will stop for the free download version, or are they going to phase out the free versions by making them inoperable?

I downloaded Fusion360's free version a few months back, but I just haven't had time yet to explore in it. Hoping they will keep it free going forward since I am not using it for commercial use, but it is probably a matter of time before they charge for it too.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

At $299/yr wouldn't it pay to just buy the license for $695 and be done with it unless you don't plan on using it beyond 2 years.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote:At $299/yr wouldn't it pay to just buy the license for $695 and be done with it unless you don't plan on using it beyond 2 years.
I don't think the perpetual license for $695 gets support indefinitely. They may fix bugs for a brief time on it, but eventually I believe you have to opt into the annual subscription license model to get continual updates and support. This is just my best guess based on what I have read on SketchUp license tiers and my past experience dealing with CAD licenses for other tools in the past.
📶RF Guy

sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

"Buy once to own your license forever" is how they describe it in a table that implies you get everything the subscribers get. If they renege on that commitment how are they going to get anyone to buy a full license again. I am sure they will add features and improvements in the future which you may or my not get for free in optional upgrades but that is different than just leaving you high and dry. After 10 years Microsoft is not going to support Office 2010 any more but I can live with that, it is still functional and does what I need. I have been doing fine with the 2017 version of Skechup so far and developers who have developed extensions for it still support them and even develop new ones.