Table height adjustment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JaneM
Bronze Member

Table height adjustment

Post by JaneM »

Hello,

I inherited my dad’s SS Mark V 500. It’s been sitting idle for quite a few years, and I’m in the process of cleaning it up so I can use it. I’ve followed various forum posts and YouTube videos and was able to get the motor running. The problem I’m having is raising the table height far enough to slide the saw blade into place. It will raise up to the point that the bottom of the guide posts are at the bottom of the tubes. It looks and feels like the bottom of the guide posts are wider than the tubes they’re in, preventing the whole thing from going high enough to accommodate the saw blade. It moves up and down pretty easily, but just not high enough. I hope this description makes sense. I’ve attached a photo that shows the underneath side of one of the posts (It’s the same on both sides). If anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry if the picture is too big. I’m trying to learn how to use these forums.
Attachments
015575C6-3CA3-4785-8E70-8F537FB54DA1.jpeg
015575C6-3CA3-4785-8E70-8F537FB54DA1.jpeg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Table height adjustment

Post by jsburger »

The bottom of that tube (post) is severely deformed. Someone at some point severely abused it for some reason. The end of the tube is all mushroomed out. Lower the table and use a file to remove all the metal around the diameter that is preventing it from going higher. Do the same to the other tube. You should be able to completely remove the table from the carriage.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JaneM
Bronze Member

Re: Table height adjustment

Post by JaneM »

Thank you for such a quick reply. I’ll do what you suggested. I kind of thought it was something like that, but was hesitant to file anything without asking someone who knows a whole lot more than I do. I appreciate your help.

Jane