Cleaning the sanding disc?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ehbowen
Gold Member

Cleaning the sanding disc?

Post by ehbowen »

When I acquired my new-to-me 1980 Shopsmith the 12" sanding disc had a piece of adhesive-backed sandpaper which had apparently been there since...1980. The sandpaper came off easily enough, but there's a lot of lumpy and hard-to-remove adhesive still stuck to the steel sanding disc. What's the best way to clean it off? Acetone? Alcohol? Scraping? Or bite the bullet and buy a new disc?
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning the sanding disc?

Post by nuhobby »

Solvent such as acetone does help -- but particularly if everything gets good and warm out in the sun.

I'm often reminded how many chemical actions really do better with heat... just like they taught in school, but easy to forget!

Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Lacquer thinner works also but it is extremely flammable. As Chris said warming it is also recommended. You get good hot sun in Houston. My sister in law lives there.
Bill V
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You probably need solvent to get all the gunk off but you could mount the disk and use a scouring pad or something like that while it runs to get the heaviest material off.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Leave the disc out in the afternoon sun for a couple hours and then (with it still hot) clean the surface with acetone. Be liberal with the acetone. Be prepared to "scrap" some of the deposit off with a plastic putty knife.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Y'all missed the most significant point. He can reuse his!

WHOOPS! That was a different recent thread. (freezer then pull disk off and adhesive stays with the adhesive disc leaving the metal disc clean)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange