Why did I stop woodworking for years?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

saminmn
Gold Member

Why did I stop woodworking for years?

Post by saminmn »

I was an active member of this forum for a few years as a newbe. Then not. The problem was that I go a second SS, but mo plan on moving to a bigger space, After most of a year working in 2 areas of my basement with tools scattered around I gave up in frustration. No more WW till I moved into bigger room. I made a big push and got all gear out of my small shop and moved all the non shop stuff in the larger room to the new storage room (old small shop). New shop area, 25' X13', had one light and one outlet. Shop stuff scattered around, nothing had a home yet.

So about 4 winters ago I was ice fishing and fell breaking right arm. After several trips to Mayo clinic and a couple of years we decided I was going to live with some numbness and loss of range of motion in right hand thumb and fingers (at first I had trouble trying to shake hands because finger would not straighten) but this loss is now very minor and numbness is no real issue. But when I tied to add 2 rows of digital light tubes, a friend helping me with the 8' fixtures ended up doing all the work.

Then my maculuar degeneration turned from dry to wet variety two years ago. my vision tested at about 20/70 with at one point. It is now back close to where I started, but I still have some distortions right where it matters. In the shop I had finished wiring a couple of circuits and moving a 220 outlet, but nothing had a home yet.

Fast forward to pandemic. I got bored and have plowed ahead in my new shop making birdhouses. about 20 so far. Tools are finding homes, but nothing is really organized. I made box with shelves for sandpaper that did not turn out very good and a storage rack for the MK V 510 table system that exceeded expectations. Lots of needs in the shop, but moving in right direction.

Life is good, but not without challenges.

Sam

edits: Grammerical changes, fixed shop size "25 x 13"
SkullsquadronX
Gold Member

Re: Why did I stop woodworking for years?

Post by SkullsquadronX »

Sorry for your troubles and it sounds like things are starting to look up Sam. As you probably now one step at a time and one day it will be done or at least feasible.

Well good luck Sam.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Why did I stop woodworking for years?

Post by wa2crk »

I always had sand paper floating all over my shop which is in my garage. I have a four drawer file cabinet in the garage and I store my sand paper in manila folders with the grit number on the tabs. Makes for good storage and organization also makes the different grits easier to find.
Bill V