MV/500 Main Table Won't Align Square

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ehbowen
Gold Member

MV/500 Main Table Won't Align Square

Post by ehbowen »

I noticed this when I first tried aligning the machine; see newbie post in "Beginning Woodworking". I've tried working with the problem, but it's affecting the work which I recently did (creating a rip fence extension with featherboard slot dado). I want to see what I can do to correct it.

To recap: I can't get my table/miter slots to run parallel to my blade. When first checked, it was over 1/8" out of true (from front side of blade to back side of blade). I loosened the trunnion bolts (all four), tapped the table as far counterclockwise as it would go, and there's still a noticeable difference (about 1/32"; maybe a little more).

The first thing which springs to mind is to take the table off and drill the trunnion support holes out oversize, about 1/32" or so. But is there a better way? Help appreciated.

Mark V/500; S/N 68527.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: MV/500 Main Table Won't Align Square

Post by reible »

Are you moving the table rotational so the front moves in one direction and the back the opposite direction?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ehbowen
Gold Member

Post by ehbowen »

reible wrote:Are you moving the table rotational so the front moves in one direction and the back the opposite direction?

Ed
Yes. I first tried the trick of keeping one bolt tight and loosening the other three, but that didn't give enough adjustment. I then loosened all four bolts, tapping the back of the table to the left and the front to the right. Still not enough, although that was what brought it down to (about) 1/32".
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Have you had the mounting bolts completely out? Is it possible there is something(sawdust ...) in the trunion holes?

Lastly are the mounting tubes bent? Are the trunion mounts installed correctly?(not sure how that could happen)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You do have all of the locks secured, right? Are the trunnions (with the table off) parallel to one another? Asked another way: Do the trunnion bolts locate the corners of a parallelogram?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ehbowen
Gold Member

Post by ehbowen »

JPG wrote:Have you had the mounting bolts completely out? Is it possible there is something(sawdust ...) in the trunion holes?

Lastly are the mounting tubes bent? Are the trunion mounts installed correctly?(not sure how that could happen)
Haven't had the mounting bolts out completely yet; will work on that tomorrow. I've had very little sleep!
ehbowen
Gold Member

Post by ehbowen »

dusty wrote:You do have all of the locks secured, right? Are the trunnions (with the table off) parallel to one another? Asked another way: Do the trunnion bolts locate the corners of a parallelogram?
All locks were secured, yes. Haven't had the table completely off yet; that's next.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I would suspect the two things JPG brought up. Are the mounting holes blocked by debris. If not I would also suspect a bent mounting tube.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Please explain! What am I missing? How would a debris obstructed mounting tube hole cause misalignment of the table.

Bent mounting tubes, really. I have had bent table tubes (not 500) but never a bent table tube. Those seem pretty stout.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If crud is in a bolt hole, it limits the possible positioning of the bolt within the hole
(limits table movement when bolts are 'loose' as when trying to align the table). Like that smaller hole in the 510 trunion mount.

Yes a bent table mounting tube is unlikely, but if tis bent this problem can occur.

Groping for causes here. Trunion could also(but quite unlikely) create this scenario.

Anything which causes the trunion holes to be displaced from 'typical' positions is suspect including the carriage(we be really far fetched with that!).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange