18" Jigsaw Price

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 18" Jigsaw Price

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:Is it leaking oil from the cover plate gasket or from the bottom of the housing? As JPG said oil leaking is a common problem. Most of the Jig Saw replacements are no longer available from Shopsmith. If you need to make a new gasket follow the pattern of the old one. It is important to have a cutout for the vent hole in the upper side of the housing. See the arrows in the gasket picture below.

$matches[2]No mater which way you place an original gasket there is a cutout for the vent hole. The vent hole is indicated by the arrows in the picture below.

10-54 Back Cover c.jpg
ALL 8 cutouts are required in order to make orientation decision irrelevant.

However only one cutout is necessary if gasket is orientated correctly.

The vent hole in the side is what gets plugged up(teeney tiney). See RED arrows above.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

Wow thanks guys. That's awesome. Now I just need a day to tear into it.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

what kind of oil do I use to put back in it?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Air compressor crankcase oil. works. So does ol #10 machine oil.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Spooner,

Did you figure out where the oil is leaking from?

Mine actually leaks a little out of the bottom of the housing past the lower bearing and out the expansion plug. It is stored on a SPT Mounting Base and I keep a butter tub under it to catch oil drips. I just check the oil level before use.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I have not found the source yet Russ. I had it on the SS the other day putzing with it and cleaning it up. I need to get out and get some air compressor oil.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spooner wrote:I have not found the source yet Russ. I had it on the SS the other day putzing with it and cleaning it up. I need to get out and get some air compressor oil.
Are you using the zoom spout turbine oil to oil the main SS? If so it works fine for the jig saw. That way you only need one oil in the shop.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

how much oil does it take? That zoom spout oil is rather spendy. What about Lucus? Too much?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Spooner wrote:how much oil does it take? That zoom spout oil is rather spendy. What about Lucus? Too much?
Don't know for sure. It's been a while since I filled mine. Seems like it was about 1/2 of a bottle. (2oz.)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

I made a new gasket and filled the housing up with 5w turbine oil (air tool oil). The oil started seeping out immediately. Maybe I made a bad gasket but I doubt it. I think I should have used straight 20w, 5w is really thin.....
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!