Bandsaw tension

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dannyshamoon
Gold Member

Bandsaw tension

Post by dannyshamoon »

I saw a YouTube video about the SS bandsaw and the guy says you are not supposed to leave the blade tensioned when not in use. I don't see that in my manual. Correct or ????
Thanks
Danny
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw tension

Post by edma194 »

Yes, release the tension when not in use. Pretty sure I've seen that in the manual but it's the recommendation for just about every bandsaw so maybe I'm thinking of a different saw. It's not like I haven't left blades under tension for a long time though. It may stretch the blade or weaken the weld. There was one comment I've seen online that it deforms the wheels and another that says keeping it under tension helps tracking.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Regardless of whether it is "in the manual" or not, common sense tells me that relieving tension when not in use(frequently for very long periods of time) will eliminate the likelihood of that arm deforming.

The frequent posting by folks having blade slip off due to insufficient cant is a hello moment.

I think it is a must with tension set for wider blades. Narrow blades not so much.

Deforming the tire by creating a groove is also eliminated by relieving the tension.

Not sure I agree with 'tool hunter' regarding intentional design reducing cant to reduce pressure on the rear(upper wheel) tracking bearing with wider blades.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

This thread got me to thinking about loosening the blade so I pulled out my old owner's manual and read through it. I didn't find it in the instructions to loosen it in storage, but I could have missed it. My bandsaw is my least used part of my Shopsmith so it sits unused for long periods. I try to remember to loosen the tension of the blade when it is stored, but have been known to forget at times.

As stated, it is probably a good idea to release tension when it is stored, but if you happen to forget, it probably won't mess you up or Shopsmith would have included it in the manual.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Shopsmith did include releasing the blade tension in the Manual. Below is a link to the PDF copy of the current Manual copyright 2003 on the SS website. See the bottom of page 24.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf

My copyright 1992 Manual has this as a caution on page 28.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Is this the video Danny is referring to:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-03FHNNAExg[/youtube]

Or perhaps this one:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCBlSe4Z450[/youtube]

Also check out:

Scott's My Growth Rings youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MyGrowthRings/featured

Scott's My Growth Rings website:

http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Chad on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That explains why I didn't find it in my owner's manual. My manual is dated 1981 and has no page 24, or any other page after page 11.
dannyshamoon
Gold Member

Post by dannyshamoon »

Well I guess since my bandsaw is from 1985 and I didn't see any reference to relieve the tension and after 35 years the saw seems to work fine and has no tracking issues and I replaced the tires with the "orange" ones back about 10 years ago and ran it on my original headstock at low speed, I better buy a new one since I apparently abused this one. :)
Danny

P.S. YES on the Youtube videos listed by pcd7326
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

this is good to know. I'm not finding it in my manual either.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I had a little more time since posting yesterday and checked my 12/82 (68 page) Manual I have and did not find any reference to releasing the blade tension. I also checked my 1956 original Bandsaw Manual (12 pages) and didn't find a reference to releasing the blade tension in it either. So, unless I missed it in either manual, it appears that was not in earlier manuals. The 1992 copyright Manual I mentioned in my previous post is from 6/95 and has 48 pages.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.