Still Trying to Fully Understand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Still Trying to Fully Understand

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:schedule a cleaning and lubrication session and then check the poly-v. Fifteen minutes to avoid a lot of frustration.
I'm probably due. Thanks for the advice.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
dusty wrote:schedule a cleaning and lubrication session and then check the poly-v. Fifteen minutes to avoid a lot of frustration.
If you don't have a problem - DON'T FIX IT.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
algale wrote:
If you don't have a problem - DON'T FIX IT.
The goal is prevention!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:The effect on shaft positioning is mostly vertical with some sideways positioning as well. The extreme vertical positions are 6 and 12 o'clock of the slot and 9 and 3 o'clock for the horizontal positioning.

The Mark 5/V uses the vertical movement to control Poly-v or Gilmer belt tension. The horizontal positioning is a byproduct and not intentional.

The Power Pro uses both, but is essentially a tension equalizer between the two poly-v belts.
I have to see in order to understand so I created these sketches to show (me) how the eccentric adjustment effects belt tension. The area of the circle that is "outside" the square box is where the poly-v belt moves to as the eccentric is adjusted. I have shown 6, 10 and 12 o'clock positions. The 12 o'clock position represents maximum tension on the poly-v. You can take it from there. That is a downward movement of the drive shaft of 5/32" as the eccentric is turned. I had problems envisioning this for awhile until I realized that the physical position of the eccentric is held constant and the shaft moves as the bearing runs around the inside of the eccentric.

It seems to me that if the eccentric is at "high noon" you are far over due for replacing the poly-v.
Minimum Tension
Minimum Tension
Eccentric at 6 o'clock (minimum tension).png (51.02 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
Eccentric at 7 o'clock.png
Eccentric at 7 o'clock.png (44.6 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
Eccentric at 10 o'clock.png
Eccentric at 10 o'clock.png (54.89 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
Maximum Tension
Maximum Tension
Eccentric at 12 o'clock.png (56.34 KiB) Viewed 9614 times
The area of the circle that is outside of the square (left and right) represents lateral movement of the drive shaft.

The cross in the center represents the axis of rotation of the eccentric.

Remember: _ The other shaft and pulley (drive shaft) is above the eccentric.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep!

A detail that creeps in to the thought process is the "X" is the shaft center. Tain't so!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

The eccentric on my PP upgrade is stuck--unable to adjust as per normal procedure. Wondering if there are any suggestions on how I might address this? Lubrication, slight tap with a hammer, or ???
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

c2h6o wrote:The eccentric on my PP upgrade is stuck--unable to adjust as per normal procedure. Wondering if there are any suggestions on how I might address this? Lubrication, slight tap with a hammer, or ???
On the PowerPro if both belts are tight it is very difficult to turn the eccentric. Either direction you turn it is tightening one of the belts. It is completely different from a conventional headstock where the eccentric is only used to adjust the upper belt. To confirm that it is actually stuck I would remove the lower belt, then see if it will turn toward six o'clock to loosen the upper. If genuinely stuck I might try penetrating oil and possibly tap it with a mallet, but once I got it out I would go back to clean and dry.

Normal adjustment of the eccentric consists of two parts. When the motor belt is not in place, the eccentric is used just to tighten the upper belt, same as conventional. Once the motor belt is installed, the eccentric is used to 'balance' the belt tension for minimum bearing noise. It won't move very far when balancing, and the tighter you installed the belts the more force it will take and the less it will move. The manual does not provide any guidance on how tight the belts should be, I go with slightly tighter than conventional due to greater torque availability.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

c2h6o wrote:The eccentric on my PP upgrade is stuck--unable to adjust as per normal procedure. Wondering if there are any suggestions on how I might address this? Lubrication, slight tap with a hammer, or ???
Make sure the casting isn't clamped down too tight on the eccentric if you have that old style. You can also adjust the belt tension and alignment somewhat with the motor mounting blocks. I think if the belt isn't aligned well you are putting extra lateral pressure on the shaft that could keep the eccentric from turning.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Thank you. This is an excellent answer--can't tell you how much this as helped me.
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Excellent answer--thank you