Still Trying to Fully Understand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

c2h6o
Gold Member

Re: Still Trying to Fully Understand

Post by c2h6o »

Again a great informative answer, thank you. Loosened the belt and yes can adjust the eccentric. Have it at about 6:35 position. Have tightened the drive belt, as you mentioned, a very subjective adjustment-- what is your experience with how tight is tight for this drive belt?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

c2h6o wrote:Again a great informative answer, thank you. Loosened the belt and yes can adjust the eccentric. Have it at about 6:35 position. Have tightened the drive belt, as you mentioned, a very subjective adjustment-- what is your experience with how tight is tight for this drive belt?
6:35 OR 7:00?? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

c2h6o wrote:Again a great informative answer, thank you. Loosened the belt and yes can adjust the eccentric. Have it at about 6:35 position. Have tightened the drive belt, as you mentioned, a very subjective adjustment-- what is your experience with how tight is tight for this drive belt?
I went the DIY PowerPro route. Instructions in the video suggested that the belts be very tight during assembly. The upper belt is the same as on a conventional headstock so it seems reasonable to me to apply the same standard. So if you push hard on the upper belt and it moves more than 1/8" it is too loose. In that case I would tighten the lower belt first, balance the belts using the eccentric, then check the upper again. My two cents.

- David
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

I did the DIY PP upgrade as well, a few years back. Have watched the video multiple times-just reviewed again. For the life of me I don't see how to tighten the lower belt. I understand tightening the drive belt, using the eccentric to balance the two belts, but tightening the lower belt independently after it has been installed, I don't know how to do this--I see no mention of this in the video. Again, appreciate your help here. I have an ever so little bearing rattle that I am trying to address.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The lower belt is adjusted via the motor mounts. The motor can be raised or lowered with the adjustments on the mount thereby increasing or decreasing the belt tension. Remove the Motor Pan to access the mounts. At least that is what I remember from when I did the DIY install a few years ago.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Thank you so very much
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Russ is right. This is on pages E-3 and E-4 if you have the manual. You slightly loosen a couple of button head mounting screws on each side, then there are two setscrews at the pulley end to adjust belt tension. "No more than 1/2 turn increments." Then there are two 'Belt Alignment' button head screws at the opposite end, use these to adjust so that a straight edge on the face of the motor pulley is aligned with the center of the Poly-V pulley on the Idler. Then lock both adjustments down with the mounting button head screws.

The adjustment screws can drift due to vibration, so I would make sure they are in contact before loosening the mounting screws. And adjust them in pairs so the motor remains straight. IIRC, the belt alignment screws adjust the same number of turns but in the opposite direction of the tension setscrews.

Critiquing the manual - The sequence is balance then motor belt tension. It does not say to go back and balance after tensioning the motor belt. I'm pretty sure that is necessary.

- David
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Thank you so very much