Wood River Power Tool Safety Switch

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Wood River Power Tool Safety Switch

Post by Thomschuck »

Hello fellow shopsmith genius’s
After a horrible 7 months I am back. WHEW!
Today I picked up a new Wood River Slap Switch. It is a 15 amp switch. If you recall I am a wheelchair dude and had some issues getting to the on/off switch. By moving the switch I don’t need to reach under anything to turn my machine off. Will a 15amp switch hold up on a Mark 5?
Next question is.... I also picked up a new Ricon grinder at Woodcraft. It’s the low speed 1/2hp grinder. I was seriously looking at the Wolverine lathe tool sharpening set up. Any of you folks like to give me some intel before I move forward? Thank You!
Thom Schuck
Portland, Oregon ( what’s left of it.)
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Wood River Power Tool Safety Switch

Post by JPG »

Welcome back!

The slap switch is likely somewhat under rated at 15A, but the HP rating would reveal that better.

In any event it will work for the time being or at least until it fails(long time likely).

The usefulness to you is far greater than than the durability.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

The power service in my shop is 15amp and always has been. The only time your Mark will draw more current than that is for a very brief moment at startup. Thus, I believe your slap switch will be perfectly suitable. Also, I suspect that the current on/off switch in your Mark is rated at only 15amp.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Tom
I have the Rikon low speed 1/2 HP grinderand the Oneway Wolverine grinding station in my shop. I spent a fair amount of coin experimenting with grinding systems over the years and the one I have now is working out as the best. I wish I had some more guidance earlier.
Here is my sharpening station.
grinding station.jpg
grinding station.jpg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
deep drawer.jpg
deep drawer.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
shallow drawer.jpg
shallow drawer.jpg (75.69 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Bill V
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

BigSky wrote:...The only time your Mark will draw more current than that is for a very brief moment at startup... Also, I suspect that the current on/off switch in your Mark is rated at only 15amp.
Motor Rated switches are intended and rated for applications like this (AC Induction motor) with high short term current demands. Personal view here - if I replace a SS power switch I'm using a motor rated switch that's rated at a minimum of 1-1/8 HP. Those tend to be rated at 20 Amps. A leftover toggle version from my PP DIY kit (they provide both types) is rated at 1-1/2HP at 125 - 250 VAC, 20 A at 125 VAC, 10A at 277 VAC. I suspect this is what you'd get if you ordered a new replacement switch from SS.

Sellers may not always provide the motor rating even if the switch has one, but my presumption in the absence of a HP rating, as in this case, is that the switch is not motor rated. Motor rated slap switches are readily available but I don't know about finding one that is pre-wired. Another option might be to relocate the toggle switch (or add one) with a safety cover.

- David
TonyB1649
Silver Member

Post by TonyB1649 »

Hi, go to wwgoa they have a good video on tool sharpening and make reference to a site to purchase sharpening wheels and supplies. they offer a ricoh slow speed grinder with various sharpening wheels, this reduces the price of the ricoh grinder.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Thom,

It sounds like the slap switch will work well for you.

As for the grinder, well the last thing I sharpened on my grinder was a lawn mower blade. I can't even tell you what brand of a grinder I have without going out to look at it. I've had it for a long, long time.

For sharpening lathe tools I use the SS Strip Sander with the Lathe Tool Sharpening Guide. It works great for me. I have and have used, before getting the Strip Sander setup, the Shopsmith Sharpening Guide which is easier to keep the cutting surface correct.

For those worried about the "problems" in Portland, I, like Thom, live outside the actual City of Portland.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Thank You all for your imput. Bill V your grinder set up is WICKED nice. I like thing kept clean and tight as well so I appreciate your design and efforts. Well Done & Thankyou.
Russ, good to know you are around. Truly! Ok, tomorrow I make sawdust. Not turning yet. I have a pal that is going to come over and do a set up. It has been a LONG time from then till now and I am a freak when it comes to safety. I love my Shopsmith. Pure joy just looking at it.
About Portland....
They have literally destroyed business. Storefronts covered in plywood. Throwing anything at law enforcement is intolerable. Portland has spirit! But what is taking place, these are NOT Oregonians. We don’t act this way. This is not us. These are outsiders bringing hate into our lives. Ugly.
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The 80-505 version of the Rikon Slow Speed 8" Grinder will be on sale at Woodcraft starting tomorrow for $109.99, they say $50 off. I think this is the version that Bill V endorses above.
- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Check out Wood Turners Wonders. They sell Rikon slow speed grinders and CBN wheels in packages at very good prices.

https://woodturnerswonders.com/

I have the 1HP Rikon grinder and two of their CBN wheels.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT