Mark 5 Greenie 1954 Refurbish

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

redleg
Gold Member

Re: Mark 5 Greenie 1954 Refurbish

Post by redleg »

joedw00 wrote:Nice job how did you clean the way tubes?

Thanks,
Short version sand with another Shopsmith or two Shopsmiths end to end 80 to 400 grit paper or spin with a drill if you only have one Shopsmith. I use tapered wooden plugs at the ends of the tubes. Haven't ever tried the rotten potato method though.

Another option I thought about as I was writing this, if you only have one Shopsmith, put the headstock in a maintenance cradle with a 2x4 between it and the lathe end support.
Attachments
I did cover Mark 7 tubes prior to sanding.
I did cover Mark 7 tubes prior to sanding.
060 (640x480) (600x450).jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
On this one I used the second set of holes on the mini SPT storage rack and moved the headstock further to the right.
On this one I used the second set of holes on the mini SPT storage rack and moved the headstock further to the right.
IMG_20131007_092700 (600x450).jpg (93.82 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
MinnesotaMarty
Silver Member

Post by MinnesotaMarty »

I just purchased a similar machine and about the same age. I paid $150 for it in about similar condition. Everyone is saying I stole the thing but with the work involved to bring it back I just could not see $400.
Your restoration work looks great

Marty
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Marty,
Good luck with your restoration. Not a Shopsmith expert but have rebuilt several and there are so many on this site that are willing to help with advice. I like to find these hidden gems behind all the rust and faded paint. The two tone paint brightens up the shop amongst all the grey. Luckily we have a bearing shop a few miles away that has new ones in stock. I have not added up all the costs but I probably have another $100 all together in paints and parts. Good thing it is a hobby because it takes a few days to get it done. I just bought another 1983 500 for $90 this weekend in Charlotte with a non-working motor. The centrifugal switch was sticking. It's not as rough as the greenie but close. I have the motor working now but it will be a few days before I can put the unit back together.
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Wow! Beautiful job. I also have a 1954 greenie I purchased from a neighbor who lost a couple fingers. So, I've been very apprehensive to use it and eventually purchased a newer 510 with a saw guard that I am starting to use. Long story short, I now want to restore that greenie and you have inspired me. Thanks!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Interesting thing about the Mark 5 when it came out and for many years, the saw blade guard was an optional item.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

davepk13 Thanks for the positive comments. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I spent the last 3 days in the Uwharrie National Forest campground with no internet and barely one bar on the cell phone. I have several different saw guards for Mark 5 units. They all have their bad points. While most will help avoid the loss of digits, caution and common sense is still required. Have fun and good luck on your restore.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

These restore threads always inspire me to restore my grandfather's Mark V. A 1956. I also have a 1958 jointer and jigsaw that goes with it. The Mark V is extremely rusted and needs a lot of work. I too am curious how you got the way tubes so clean.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Spooner wrote:These restore threads always inspire me to restore my grandfather's Mark V. A 1956. I also have a 1958 jointer and jigsaw that goes with it. The Mark V is extremely rusted and needs a lot of work. I too am curious how you got the way tubes so clean.
There’s a lot of ways to skin that cat. If you check out the last post in the thread below (since I can’t figure out how to link to the exact post from my iPad), you can see how I cleaned up some rusty 10ER tubes.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 29#p270329

Earlier in that thread, we had a lot of fun brainstorming ways to make a way-tube sized hole for a support bushing. Not to mention debating the pros and cons of capturing the tube with a bushing, vs. letting it roll on a pair of low-friction casters.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There are a number of ways to remove rust from the tubes. The main thing to remember is not to remove good metal and NOT to reduce the diameter of the tubes.

For rust removal on way tubes I start by putting a way tube in a 3" diameter PVC pipe tube with a glued on cap at one end and a slip on cap on the other end. I fill it with about a gallon of vinegar which is much cheaper than evapo rust but takes longer. After a couple of days it comes out, gets cleaned, rinsed off, dried and is ready for the next step. It than gets mounted on my Mark V with a special chuck adapter I made and the other end rests on two rollers mounted to a board on the extension table. It then gets polished. Below is a picture of a way tube set from a Model 10ER showing a before and after.
R63716.jpg
R63716.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
This set wasn't as rusty as some but I have had similar results with tubes in worse shape. Like what Dennis showed in his link they can be "brought back to life."
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And if you want to go the really cheap route, cut up a potato and place the pieces with water into the pvc pipe with the rail.

Now wait a month.

Remove tube from pipe(outdoors!!!). :rolleyes:

Still gotta get the pvc pipe and fittings, but they are reusable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange