Height range for main table - Mark V 520

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jftome
Bronze Member

Height range for main table - Mark V 520

Post by jftome »

Is there anyone out there with a model 520 willing to give me the height from the floor to the top of main table at its highest and lowest positions?

I've just acquired my Mark V and currently have it completely disassembled for maintenance and upgrades so I cannot take the measurements myself.

I'm attempting to plan for an outfeed and assembly table to accompany the Mark V, but am challenged by how to accomplish this given the adjustable table height. Of course some roller stands could be the easy answer, but where's the challenge in that?

Thanks,
JT
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Height range for main table - Mark V 520

Post by dusty »

Attach the outfeed table to the main table rail and allow it to go up and down with the table. Search my posts for suggestions on how to do that.

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... cd#p231337
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Max 46-7/8" and minimum is 36-1/2" measured with casters retracted and tilt at 0 degrees. As Dusty points out, lots of great ideas out there. Note that max height is not a usable operating position, it's to allow the table to slide over the top of blades or sanding discs mounted to the main arbor.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't know how DLB made his measurement but I would say that the MAX functional table saw height is 44 3/4" and at that height I am unprepared to say what the depth of cut would be. I would measure it but my Shopsmith is setup in a mode (router table) that will not allow for table hight adjustment. I suspect that depth of cut is right at "0".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Dusty is correct, I did not provide functional table saw heights. For clarity, neither of the heights I gave are functional table saw positions. As I said, the max height is not an operating position for any sawdust generating purpose. The numbers I provided are the 520 (same for 510) "height from the floor to the top of the main table at its highest and lowest positions." I made those measurements with the carriage out to the right of the headstock so the table could reach the positions requested. I'd also be happy to measure functional table saw height.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There are many ways to provide an outfeed table. Even the floating tables that came with your Shopsmith can be used as outfeed/infeed tables. Shopsmith makes brackets for this or they can be staggered on either side of the main table with connector tubes and the adjustable legs to support the free end.

The best one I have seen is in the link Dusty provided in his first post. It is Dusty's outfeed table that attaches using a connector tube in the rear table rail and the support to the bottom of the table post. It goes up and down with the table height adjustment and can even tilt with the table.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jftome
Bronze Member

Post by jftome »

Thanks all for the replies; its nice to see an active community here that I will most certainly draw from more as I get my machine assembled and start some projects.

I realized that my request for min/max heights is outside the usable heights for the table saw, but it at least lets me think worst case. I was stuck thinking about an outfeed table from the perspective of a big flat table behind the saw for feeding sheet goods. You folks have opened my eyes to different possibilities in the SS world. As I'm sure with many of you, my work space is limited so I'll have to find a solution that is either multi-function or consumes little storage space. I'll be reading through that outfeed thread more tonight and you may see me asking more questions.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The community here is always ready to assist.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty