Clean-Turn Lathe Chisel

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Clean-Turn Lathe Chisel

Post by dusty »

Would someone please explain to me just what this is. At $149.79, the owners must be very proud of it.

Opps. I just noticed...the price may be going up since the offer expired Dec 31, 2008.

I'm even more curious as to what it is and why it is so expensive.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/spec ... offers.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

It's supposed to be a large turning gouge that allows you to round stock fast...but have a vacuum sucking the chips out through the tool body.

I bought one years ago, when "Doug" and the TA hit the Quad Cities. His demo worked fairly well so I laid the cash down.....You all know how that goes.

Frankly, I fiddled with it for quite awhile. While it will round aggressively, I find that mine will jam with chips easily...and they pack in there real hard. There are suggestions on how to deal with this problem, but they didn't work for me.

Doc
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

I've seen that before and not long ago, no not on the shopsmith site but some turning place... If I recall the price was a lot less then this sale. I'll take a look and see if I bookmarked the page and get back to you.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:Found it!

http://www.cleanturn.net/details.htm

Ed

Thank you very much. Interesting reading. There is always something new to learn.

It seems that this tool may be one of a kind. Hmmmm.....$149.79 versus 78.95. Is that a 100% markup. No, not really...it is only 89.73%.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It is also interesting that I didn't get the email offer... I figured I got them all but now that I know I don't I will have to start clicking that link ones in a while to see what I'm missing.

Now I'm struggling with the tool boxes. I have two of them and was always planning on getting the third one but now they are going away and my budget doesn't have that item in it. With shipping and taxes that will run me about $155 which is not pocket change. So what other item or items can I do without to get this last cabinet, or do I just live with the two I have and stay the plan. Way to early in the year to have to be making such decisions.

BTW I'm going to pass on Shopsmiths generous sale on the Clean-Turn, it looks like it would mostly clean-my-money.

Ed
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:It is also interesting that I didn't get the email offer... I figured I got them all but now that I know I don't I will have to start clicking that link ones in a while to see what I'm missing.

Now I'm struggling with the tool boxes. I have two of them and was always planning on getting the third one but now they are going away and my budget doesn't have that item in it. With shipping and taxes that will run me about $155 which is not pocket change. So what other item or items can I do without to get this last cabinet, or do I just live with the two I have and stay the plan. Way to early in the year to have to be making such decisions.

BTW I'm going to pass on Shopsmiths generous sale on the Clean-Turn, it looks like it would mostly clean-my-money.

Ed
Hi Ed,
FWIW, I did knot get a "dedicated" e-mail for that item either, but if I remember correctly, it was one of those "thingies" that you could click on (if you so chose), that was at the top of a web page that I was directed to, on at least two different e-mails. Kind of an add on; definitely was knot part of the "main" e-mail offer. I looked back at all my recent e-mails and could no longer find it.

I have all three of those tool boxes, and as I do knot keep them under my Mark V, I had thought about buying a fourth, and make a kind of square with four of them. I can knot buy any more at this time, so I guess I am out of luck. They are knot much different then that storage solution that you made from those Veritas drawers, though...
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="a1gutterman"]Hi Ed,
FWIW, I did knot get a "dedicated" e-mail for that item either, but if I remember correctly, it was one of those "thingies" that you could click on (if you so chose), that was at the top of a web page that I was directed to, on at least two different e-mails. Kind of an add on]
You might be looking too hard. Top and center of the page.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:You might be looking too hard. Top and center of the page.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/
I figured out why I could no longer find it in an e-mail. I did knot get an e-mail regarding this item. I saw it when I visited this link]http://www.shopsmith.com/[/URL] ,followed up by clicking on the "Mark V Accessory Offers Parts & Education" link (which is the one dusty is supplying above) on that page. I go to that page frequently to conduct "Item # Search" 's. :)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Dusty I bought one at a traveling Academy about three years ago. I suspect I would find the price I paid depressing so will not look it up. I have tried it a couple of times and been a bit disappointed. I figure I will try it again sometime and see if I can learn a technique that works better than before. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.