Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Post by JPG »

Omnomnom wrote:Hi all,
New member here. Saw an ad on my local Nextdoor for this unit -

shopsmith.jpg

I contacted the seller, and he says it's model ER (I assume 10ER?), serial #47622. Don't know the year or condition other than what's shown in the picture.
He's asking $200. Is that a good deal? I'm a little tempted myself, but not sure I have the space for it, or the time to do it justice. Oh well, maybe after I retire.
This is in S.E. Michigan, Ann Arbor area. Don't know if you can see this ad if you're not a Nextdoor user in the general area, but here goes: https://nextdoor.com/for_sale_and_free/ ... e3b363459/
Good luck,
Jeff.
With a functioning speed changer it is a decent price.

Since it is over a week old, I would offer less and see it the seller agrees. It looks to be in very good condition!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

These don't come up that often, at least not in my area. If anyone is interested in a UTR (universal lathe tool rest) from Shopsmith, there is one on sale for $250 and it looks to be in great shape.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/tls/ ... 64046.html
UTR_for_sale.jpg
UTR_for_sale.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
db5
Platinum Member

Re: Heads Up - Oklahoma

Post by db5 »

I saw this Wednesday listed for $900 and replied with "WAY" over priced for a poorly maintained SS (1953-1960." Got a reply that stated it was is a 1981 model and my message was filled with fecal matter. I asked what was wrong with my message and got an apology - from the seller's wife. (She is the one who wants it gone now and told her husband several days ago to change the price. With that information you could probably negotiate a much lower price. It appears to be green so not 1881. Start with a low offer to the wife and see what happens.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls ... 77119.html
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Still too high!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote:Still too high!
Agreed, it doesn't turn. But now they have a second ad and it's $450: https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls ... 41238.html I'm not sure if having both ads up at the same time, $250 and $450, is sound marketing strategy. I can't see the headstock so I won't dispute the 1983 claim in the new ad, but the rest of the machine is 50's, not a tribute paint job.

- David
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Right now Shopsmith has their premium upgrade casters on sale. Cheap and easy upgrade that is well worth doing. This week only! 15% off with the guide bar template and bit. (The bit is nothing to brag about.) This is cheaper than getting them on Amazon and E-Bay hasn't had any listed for quite a while.
The guide bar is unnecessary, the paper template works fine, but it did make it go quicker.
Dan
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

AEA wrote:Right now Shopsmith has their premium upgrade casters on sale. Cheap and easy upgrade that is well worth doing. This week only! 15% off with the guide bar template and bit. (The bit is nothing to brag about.) This is cheaper than getting them on Amazon and E-Bay hasn't had any listed for quite a while.
The guide bar is unnecessary, the paper template works fine, but it did make it go quicker.
Dan
That is not necessarily true. SS had a big problem with the paper templates at one time because they were reproducing them and the reproductions were not to the same scale as the originals. There was a whole lot of chatter here on the forum about how the paper templates were getting the holes incorrect.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have only done the caster upgrade once since I have only one Mark V, but I highly recommend the guide bar from Shopsmith. It made installation easy and I preferred it to having a paper template. Just my opinion though...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor