New Rikon Lathe 70-3040

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

New Rikon Lathe 70-3040

Post by jsburger »

This is an interesting idea to increase swing over the bed. However, what am I missing vis a vis the increase of the distance between centers? The tool rest can only be positioned along the moving bed. Distance between centers goes from 20" to 40" but I can still only use the 20" at the tail stock end. :confused: :confused: :confused:

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/vide ... dium=email
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Rikon Lathe 70-3040

Post by RFGuy »

Looks interesting. Can't the tool rest be removed and moved to the lower bed when extended?
Rikon_70_3040.jpg
Rikon_70_3040.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:50 pm Looks interesting. Can't the tool rest be removed and moved to the lower bed when extended?
Well, the video didn't address that. That would require a change over that the video said was not necessary. There is a lead screw and motor under the lower bed so I don't know. To me it was a glaring omission concerning the value of the increased center to center distance capability. Do you really want to change the banjo and tool rest height multiple times between one end of a turning and the other to utilize the increase in center to center distance??? Still :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks John. Yeah, good point about having to move the banjo between the two. Could definitely create some transition difficulties on a spindle turning. I updated my previous post with a picture from Rikon to show the banjo on the lower rail.
Last edited by RFGuy on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

On Rikon's website, there is a picture of the tool rest mounted on the lower part of the lathe. I agree that would be a pain to keep moving back and forth along a spindle turning. Plus, they make a point of saying that the banjo is cast iron, so probably heavy.

Oops, it looks like you can type faster than me and beat me to the post.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Thanks RFGuy and Kieth. I knew I should have checked. I guess that is why the video did not mention it. What a pain in the (???) to get extra bed length. That is absolutely no solution for increasing center to center distance.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Page 15 of the manual shows a Gap Bed Insert that can be place on the lower bed when extended. This section extends the upper bed all the way back to the headstock so the tool rest can slide along the full length.

https://www.rikontools.com/wp-content/u ... 3040M2.pdf
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:57 pm Page 15 of the manual shows a Gap Bed Insert that can be place on the lower bed when extended. This section extends the upper bed all the way back to the headstock so the tool rest can slide along the full length.

https://www.rikontools.com/wp-content/u ... 3040M2.pdf
This all makes more sense now. However the WW Journal video did not explain any of this. He said you get all this extra capacity, swing over bed and distance between centers all built in with no change overs. Not true! To use the extended center to center ability you either have to buy the tool rest base extension and move the banjo or the Gap insert. Both do not come standard and require a change over.

Rikon probably has a good idea but WW Journal (Rockler) missed it in their video.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

When you put that Gap Bed Insert on the lathe you've lost all your increased swing over the bed.

Well it won't be the first time you needed to buy that extra piece to get what you wanted out of a tool. And it can't be any more fun taking that thing on and off the lathe than the tool rest either.

The internet says these lathes cost under $4000. I'm guessing that the additional cost of the Gap Bed Insert takes it over that mark and beyond a target marketing price they thought necessary. If they need these things to move they oughta throw in that insert as part of a sale package.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER