Why do I need a 10 position Quick-Index Quill Feed?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Why do I need a 10 position Quick-Index Quill Feed?

Post by edma194 »

On my list of small projects is a 3 arm quill feed. I have all the material, it's just a drilling and tapping job.

Then I notice that Shopsmith offers a 10 position quill feed adapter that has one arm. And after that I notice on YouTube someone making a quick release quill adapter.

I do know why I want a 3 arm quill feed. It puts 2 more handles at different positions that may be more convenient to grab or to hold. For a full turn that needs a hand switch it's also better to have more than one handle available. It's also kind of cool looking. Simple, basic, understandable reasons to do it.

But why do I need 10 positions or a quick-release? I got a piece of 1 1/2" hex stock for making the hub on Amazon for an incredibly low price. I planned to make this for 3 arms, seemed to be plenty to me. I guess I could go ahead and drill all 6 sides to make more positions available but I don't see it providing much of an advantage, and looks-wise 6 arms is getting kind of busy. Could 10 positions be that much better? And it's still just one arm.

And what does quick release do for me? Couldn't I just let go if I was in that much of a hurry?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Why do I need a 10 position Quick-Index Quill Feed?

Post by algale »

I have the Shopsmith 10 position quick release and opted to get the spare hub so there's a hub on both sides of the head stock. With two hubs you can quick release and move the handle not only between positions but between sides. 10 positions is handy because you never need to remove it entirely. If it is in the way, just move it to one of the other 10 positions. With three arms, I think you need to remove it unless you are drilling. I like mine a lot but can see the advantages of a three arms if doing a lot of drilling.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Like Algale-I upgraded to the 10 position magnetic with 2 hubs from the standard single lever.

It doesn't add any torque compared to the standard lever, its roughly the same length, but it is great during setup to have 10 positions available to put the lever in just the right "up" position that you are comfortable with using just a 1 handed movement on the lever/magnet.

b
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't have the 10-Position Quick-Index Quill Feed Handle but am seriously considering it especially since it is on sale. Currently I have the original Quill feed handles on all my Shopsmiths. Generally I keep the handle down out of the way and move it into a better position when using it for drilling. etc. I can see that with the 10-Position Quick-Index Quill Feed Handle that position change would be easier and have more spots to locate it. Currently, with the original handle, I have only three positions to place it at 120 degrees apart. With 10 positions they would be only 36 degrees apart. I don't think I would like having a 3 Lever Drill Press Quill Handle since one handle would always be near up and in the way for functions using the table on the Shopsmith. To get a 3 lever handle out of the way I would have to remove it and that would make it harder to "fine tune" cut widths on the table saw using the Quill.

Ed, your last statement
And what does quick release do for me? Couldn't I just let go if I was in that much of a hurry?
has me wondering if you understand how it works. :confused:

Ed, the Quick Release is the Handle coming off the Hub to change positions as shown in the catalog.

https://shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog ... handle.htm

Update: I just ordered it.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:54 pm
Ed, your last statement

Ed, the Quick Release is the Handle coming off the Hub to change positions as shown in the catalog.

The quick release feature was something from this video about a purple adapter. I'm not really getting the point of that one at all.

I do understand the basic quick release advantage for relocating a single arm feed. I don't see it needing to be that much quicker than it is, the thread count and depth of threading could make that faster for the regular handle.

I'm gonna go ahead and make a 3 arm feed, it would be for the drill press where it makes sense.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Ed, your last statement

The quick release feature was something from this video about a purple adapter. I'm not really getting the point of that one at all.

I do understand the basic quick release advantage for relocating a single arm feed. I don't see it needing to be that much quicker than it is, the thread count and depth of threading could make that faster for the regular handle.

I'm gonna go ahead and make a 3 arm feed, it would be for the drill press where it makes sense.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:05 pm
edma194 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Ed, your last statement has me wondering if you understand how it works. :confused:

The quick release feature was something from this video about a purple adapter. I'm not really getting the point of that one at all unless it's just to rapidly change position.

Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

Thanks for the link to Scott's video. I had not seen it before my comments so they were based on the Shopsmith OEM parts. A 3 arm feed does make sense for a Drill Press and I would look at having that on a Shopsmith dedicated for a Drill Press if I ever do one. As I said before I feel it would be in the way for other uses. It looks like the purple block uses a similar idea as the 10-Position Quick-Index Quill Feed Handle just using different base parts and longer handles. It's also a bit bulker looking. As I updated in my earlier post I did order the 10-Position Quick-Index Quill Feed Handle from Shopsmith so I will see if I like it or simply stay with the original handles.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have the 10 position quick index quill feed and like it a lot better than the original equipment. One of the better upgrades that Shopsmith offers (IMHO). Just wish it had the option of a longer handle for when you need more leverage. As stated here, the primary benefit of the 10 position is more the convenience of getting the handle out of the way for non drill press operation which is a definite plus. Though it is also useful for drill press operation, but does require a quick release, moving it and then engaging again. If you do a lot of drill press operation or particularly for hollow chisel mortising then it probably is worth buying Geoff Baker's custom 3 arm handle (purple spline hub) or making your own.
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I like what I have (the single arm) and have no compunction to buy anything else. This has worked for more years than I have left in the wood shop.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.