Table Saw Accuracy and 5/8" Blades

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Cliffy
Gold Member

Table Saw Accuracy and 5/8" Blades

Post by Cliffy »

New to SS and have read the reasoning behind the larger saw blade hole but wondering if anyone has ever really determined IF it makes any difference inaccuracy? Never really had much trouble with 5/8 blades on any of the regular 10" saws I've had over the years but didn't make many segment rings then either.
I'm planning on making 16 segment rings (1/2" thick) and my mind wanders to maybe using an 8*' or even a 7 1/2" blade for better accuracy if IN FACT the hole size on a 10" blade really makes a difference. I won't need much depth of cut. Luckily I have many good blades to choose from.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Table Saw Accuracy and 5/8" Blades

Post by RFGuy »

Doug Reid gave an explanation on why Shopsmith went with the 1 1/4" sawblade bore on a 10" blade (see video below). I haven't seen anyone say definitively that one is better than the other. In fact, many forum members use 5/8" bore sawblades in their Shopsmith all the time and report it works very well. Personally I have the 1 1/4" bore on my Forrest Woodworker II sawblade and enjoy it, but it was no extra cost to get this bore size from them. I suspect with a lower quality sawblade on a 5/8" bore that you might need to add stabilizer rings to it. IF so, any advantage in possibly deeper cut capacity is negated because of having to add the stabilizer rings. So it is kind of personal preference unless you intend to interchange sawblades with non Shopsmith equipment and/or are coming from another brand tablesaw.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:40 pm New to SS and have read the reasoning behind the larger saw blade hole but wondering if anyone has ever really determined IF it makes any difference inaccuracy? Never really had much trouble with 5/8 blades on any of the regular 10" saws I've had over the years but didn't make many segment rings then either.
I'm planning on making 16 segment rings (1/2" thick) and my mind wanders to maybe using an 8*' or even a 7 1/2" blade for better accuracy if IN FACT the hole size on a 10" blade really makes a difference. I won't need much depth of cut. Luckily I have many good blades to choose from.
I have no idea why anyone would think the larger hole has an impact on accuracy. Now a miter gauge that holds 22.5 degrees accurately enough for 16 segments is another story Slop in the miter bar will give you more issues than the blade.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:23 pm
Cliffy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:40 pm New to SS and have read the reasoning behind the larger saw blade hole but wondering if anyone has ever really determined IF it makes any difference inaccuracy? Never really had much trouble with 5/8 blades on any of the regular 10" saws I've had over the years but didn't make many segment rings then either.
I have no idea why anyone would think the larger hole has an impact on accuracy. Now a miter gauge that holds 22.5 degrees accurately enough for 16 segments is another story Slop in the miter bar will give you more issues than the blade.

Larger hole larger arbor larger washers on the side of the blade. Company's still sell blade stabilizers (larger washers).

I thought Doug Reid explained the thinking back in the early 50's very well in the video. Is it appropriate today with better material and laser cut dampening grooves in the blade? Probably not but the original thought was appropriate for the time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Cliffy,
Dusty is correct that you will need the to more concerned with the slop in the miter gauge and table slot. You should probably consider a sled to do the wedges. You can google to get some ideas on how to make one. I took three or four iterations before I got one that I liked and worked well.

Bob
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

Actually looking at sleds
Awaiting a MiterSet tool to give it a try also
Have a set of plastic wedges for different angles also to try.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Cliffy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:54 pm Actually looking at sleds
You'll love the MiterSet.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:45 pm
dusty wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:23 pm

Larger hole larger arbor larger washers on the side of the blade. Company's still sell blade stabilizers (larger washers).

I thought Doug Reid explained the thinking back in the early 50's very well in the video. Is it appropriate today with better material and laser cut dampening grooves in the blade? Probably not but the original thought was appropriate for the time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

dusty wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 am
Cliffy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:54 pm Actually looking at sleds
You'll love the MiterSet.
+ 1 on the Miter Set
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
Cliffy
Gold Member

Post by Cliffy »

The one saw blade this SS came with is an old rip blade well worn. Of course large bore.
If I wanted a good blade for the large bore adaptor would a SS blade be as good as any other or are there other options for the large bore saw blades?