Which tool do you fear the most?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Which tool do you fear the most?

Post by garys »

Not scared here, just respectful of any power tool.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The high speed stuff is scary. The router seems scariest because of the highest speed of rotation, but it probably should be the table saw because I end up too close to the dangerous part of that thing too often.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I'm cautious with any power tool, especially a circular saw or the SS table saw. But my most painful shop accident was when a 3' pipe clamp slipped off a cabinet I was gluing up and landed on my foot. The top of the foot turned black and blue and I hobbled around flat-footed in an unlaced sneaker for about a week. I wear safety shoes in the shop now.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

I would have to say it's the jointer.

]
20210210_160630.jpg
20210210_160630.jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
[/img][/img]
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Mountainbreeze -

ouch ! do you know how the finger ended up being cut on the jointer?
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Yeah, it was just pure stupidity on my part. I was surfacing a piece of stock not using a push block and the tip of my finger got caught. Surprisingly, there was no pain until it came time for the lidocaine injections.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Mountainbreeze “wins”, for sure! :eek:

For me, the scariest tool is a circle cutter, in drill-press mode. It definitely has it’s uses, but I will only use mine in concert with my speed reducer, at 100 RPM. And even then, I clamp the workpiece very securely, wear goggles, and I don’t get any closer to it than the power switch and the quill-feed lever.

B7EC3C26-4C1C-449F-9028-D6CF0809AD8C.jpeg
B7EC3C26-4C1C-449F-9028-D6CF0809AD8C.jpeg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
The one time I came close to needing stitches wasn’t even with a power tool. It was with a sharp chisel, and I was using it improperly. But I got lucky, and only did Band-aid class damage to myself. Now I have plenty of respect for edge tools as well.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have been fortunate to not have any permanent injuries thus far from my shop. I hate to see when anyone gets hurt, particularly in their shop, so you have my sympathy. Some of the power carving tools scare the crap out of me. Like any tool, I know it comes down to the skill of the operator, but I am scared enough to be hesitant to even try these. Some of the ones that come to mind are for example the power carving attachments for angle grinders, etc. Incidentally, this is what Stumpy Nubs hurt himself on last year. Mistakes do happen so we all have to be diligent and respectful of our tools. Wishing everyone a safe 2021 in your shops...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Jointer is the one I'm extra careful with.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have great respect for the jointer but never a fear. I suppose that is mostly because I was taught in the very beginning to avoid pushing anything through the jointer by hand. Use Push Blocks.

Edge Jointing is a bit different but still demands respect.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.