Which tool do you USE the most

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edflorence
Platinum Member

Which tool do you USE the most

Post by edflorence »

The recent thread on scary tools plus the ongoing discussions about just how good is the Shopsmith in Table Saw mode got me to wondering which Shopsmith setups people use most frequently. When I asked myself this question, the answer was easy - I use the table saw set-up more than any other, and, I am pretty happy with the SS as a tablesaw, although I admit the 500 fence can be a bit finicky. Then, in order of how often they get used, I would say: jointer, drill press or bandsaw (its a tie), sander, lathe, horizontal drill mode and then router. Just wondering if this is typical of other users.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: Which tool do you USE the most

Post by bainin »

1. TableSaw
2. Bandsaw
3. DrillPress/Jointer (project dependent)
4. Horizontal boring
5. Seldom router/shaper (have a separate setup for this)
6. Hardly ever sanding disks
7. Never Lathe

b
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It has to be the drill press based on number of holes drilled. But most holes don't take long to drill, and a lot of the time I'll be drilling numerous holes in one session using the same bit, so the average time per hole is fairly small.

Based on overall time in use I'm sure it's the bandsaw. It can take a while to shape a piece on the bandsaw, cutting out a bandsaw box has to be done slowly and carefully as does cutting any intricate shape. I frequently rough cut initially and close in on a final cut, and many tight convex shapes require using multiple cuts to remove enough material to turn the needed radius. I'll use the bandsaw any time it's practical to cut with it, and I also use it for plastic and metal. So the bandsaw is the winner on time spent in use.

Table saw must be third unless I combine all the sanding functions. They'd probably win in terms of combined time. Horizontal boring gets done a lot, but before I had a dedicated drill press it was easier not to raise the head into drill press mode and I'd do anything horizontally if possible.

I have rarely used the joiner or lathe compared to the other tools but I intend to start using the lathe a lot more now.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

In addition to the kind of woodworking we do, this one depends quite a bit on what other equipment is in out shop.

1) Table saw for sure. I went from Greenie to 520 in one step, which resolved my reservations on the SS as a table saw. There are pros and cons comparing it to any portable, but overall I prefer the SS.
2) Jointer - Before learning on u-tube that a Jointer is unnecessary I became quite dependent on it.
3) Horizontal Drill Press - I'm retraining myself to think horizontal first to save setup time. I find that most of my vertical drill press 'needs' can be done just as well, sometimes better, with the horizontal setup.
4) Belt Sander
5) Bandsaw

I do a lot of routing and shaping, would probably be #2 or 3 on my list except I do little of it on the Mark. But I do have a SS Overarm stand-alone (also does under-table) that I really like. And I have a PowerPro now so I'm going to give the Mark another chance as a shaper. I did not like the Greenie for shaping and bought a stand-alone.

- David
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My use depends somewhat on the projects I'm doing, but usually, I'd say"

1. Table Saw
2. Belt Sander
3. Jointer
4. Planer
5. Bandsaw
6. Lathe
7. Drill press
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Which tool do you USE the most?
  1. brain ;)
  2. hands
  3. ruler
  4. pencil
  5. square
  6. tablesaw
  7. jointer
  8. planer
  9. lathe
  10. bandsaw
  11. drill press
  12. horizontal boring
Order of list changes depending on project, but this is kind of the average. Also, just listing Shopsmith functions here. I rarely sand with my Mark V and use a dedicated router table.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:26 pm In addition to the kind of woodworking we do, this one depends quite a bit on what other equipment is in out shop.

1) Table saw for sure. I went from Greenie to 520 in one step, which resolved my reservations on the SS as a table saw. There are pros and cons comparing it to any portable, but overall I prefer the SS.
2) Jointer - Before learning on u-tube that a Jointer is unnecessary I became quite dependent on it.
3) Horizontal Drill Press - I'm retraining myself to think horizontal first to save setup time. I find that most of my vertical drill press 'needs' can be done just as well, sometimes better, with the horizontal setup.
4) Belt Sander
5) Bandsaw

I do a lot of routing and shaping, would probably be #2 or 3 on my list except I do little of it on the Mark. But I do have a SS Overarm stand-alone (also does under-table) that I really like. And I have a PowerPro now so I'm going to give the Mark another chance as a shaper. I did not like the Greenie for shaping and bought a stand-alone.

- David
Why is that? I use mostly rough stock. I don't hand plane so the jointer is indispensable. I use it as much as the table saw. Rough stock prep involves the table saw, the jointer and then the planer. Those are the most used tools in my shop and are used on almost every project.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I am with John on this, almost. Rough stock might need the bandsaw first to cut down to acceptable width and the miter saw to cut to rough length before going to the jointer to flatten two sides. Then it might be back to the bandsaw to cut to rough width and thickness before going to the planer for final thickness. If the width is less than 6" then final width can be done on the planer which might require a jig for thinner stock. Greater than 6" final widths can be done of the table saw or a track saw setup. Then back to the miter saw for final length. So my priority is:

1) Bandsaw (Heavy duty 18" or better)
2) Jointer
3) Miter saw
4) Planer
5) Router (handheld, table, Shaper Origin)
5) Track saw
6) Table saw
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

jsburger wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:39 pm
DLB wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:26 pm ... 2) Jointer - Before learning on u-tube that a Jointer is unnecessary I became quite dependent on it. ...
- David
Why is that? I use mostly rough stock. I don't hand plane so the jointer is indispensable. I use it as much as the table saw. Rough stock prep involves the table saw, the jointer and then the planer. Those are the most used tools in my shop and are used on almost every project.
That was meant in jest, I also consider the Jointer indispensable. I had seen a couple of videos recently (Stumpy Numbs and ???) suggesting a Jointer was not a necessity but a Planer was. My experience is the opposite. They indicated that a form of Planer sled could be used so that a thickness Planer would surface plane and then a table saw, with another sled, could be used to cut a straight edge 90 degrees to the planed surface. I don't share that view, I consider a Planer to be optional and completed many projects without one. My two criticisms are that neither actually demonstrated success, meaning a straight flat surface and a straight true edge of glue joint quality, and the methodology was extremely time consuming as the sleds have to be adjusted for every board.

- David
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 pm Which tool do you USE the most?
  1. brain ;)
  2. hands
  3. ruler
  4. pencil
  5. square
Ha! 🤣 Definitely the pre-reqs!