Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment

Post by dusty »

Enticed by two recent threads initiated by paulrussell, I decided to take a look at my bandsaw.

In the thread it was stated that the table was shimmed when attached to the trunnions. Sure enough, I look at my table and between the trunnions and the table I find a "variety of flat washers. Six washers in total and no two of them are the same thickness. On the infeed trunnion each mounting bolt had two washers. On the outfeed side each bolt had only one washer each.

Washers versus shims. What is the difference other than possibly intent? What were the shims supposedly doing?

Why might this have been done.

Now, though I do not remember, I must have done this. But why would I?

The manual states to install one shim on each bolt between the
trunnion and the table
. Then it goes on to direct the use one a
flat washer
between the bolt head and the nut. No where does it state or imply the use of additional shims.

paul wrote " - Shimmed table perpendicular to blade (not really a mod since it is in the manual)"

Where? I don't find this.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw Table Installation and Alignment

Post by paulrussell »

paul wrote " - Shimmed table perpendicular to blade (not really a mod since it is in the manual)"

Page 27 of my manual:
20210228_092448.jpg
20210228_092448.jpg (121.85 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulrussell wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:27 am

Page 27 of my manual:

20210228_092448.jpg
Well that is certainly clear enough but that is not in my manual, at least not on page 27. However, I will not have to more carefully read my manual. I found several things in my manual that I have never read before.

I did reassemble my bandsaw and checked the table to blade relationships. The table, without the "shims" that I took out, was way out of alignment. I inserted two additional "shims" and slightly over corrected. I'll resolve that later.

I am going to dismantle again, pull the "shims" and measure and then reassemble with proper values. This time I am going to replace backup bearings too. Mine are noisier than they need to be. They do not squeal yet but the noise is annoying. I sure wish I could find a solution to this that would last. New bearings are much, much quieter but that does not last long.

Thank you for providing the incentive to look into this.
BS Table of Contenets..PNG
BS Table of Contenets..PNG (303.68 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Honestly, I've neve looked at table alignment on my bandsaw. My Dad bought it new back in 1981 so he would have been the person who set it up and aligned it. My Dad had a reputation for doing things once and getting them right. Since the saw still works perfectly after almost 40 years, it is probably safe to say he did it right so it doesn't have to be done over. Shims and washers don't move or change thickness so I'll just keep cutting with it and not have to align it.
It is great to own tools that just work and don't need to be fussed with instead of using them for what they were made.
Last edited by garys on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 am Honestly, I've neve looked at table alignment on my bandsaw. My Dad bought it new back in 1983 so he would have been the person who set it up and aligned it. My Dad had a reputation for doing things once and getting them right. Since the saw still works perfectly after almost 40 years, it is probably safe to say he did it right so it doesn't have to be done over. Shims and washers don't move or change thickness so I'll just keep cutting with it and not have to align it.
It is great to own tools that just work and don't need to be fussed with instead of using them for what they were made.
Yours is probably the right approach. Unfortunately for me I don't operate that way. Never have and now never will. "Can't teach an old dog new tricks". You can try but I am proof that it won't work. I do "occasionally learn from my own mistakes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I look at a bandsaw much like I look at a hand saw. The blade needs to cut perfectly perpendicular "side to side" . With a handsaw, that depends on the person holding the saw straight. On a bandsaw, that depends on the table sitting perfectly perpendicular to the sides of the blade.
The face of the blade in relationship to the wood isn't important. In fact, with a handsaw, I pretty much always intentionally angle the blade in relation to the face of the wood simply because it seems less prone to binding in the wood that way. With a bandsaw, I don't feel that that same angle is critical either for the same reason.
I do wonder if the "front to back" alignment of the bandsaw table to the rear edge of the blade might change with the different widths of the blades used? Would a 5/8" blade align exactly the same "front to back" with the table as a 1/4" blade.
I would probably have to try my different blades myself to answer that question.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am I look at a bandsaw much like I look at a hand saw. The blade needs to cut perfectly perpendicular "side to side" . With a handsaw, that depends on the person holding the saw straight. On a bandsaw, that depends on the table sitting perfectly perpendicular to the sides of the blade.
The face of the blade in relationship to the wood isn't important. In fact, with a handsaw, I pretty much always intentionally angle the blade in relation to the face of the wood simply because it seems less prone to binding in the wood that way. With a bandsaw, I don't feel that that same angle is critical either for the same reason.
I do wonder if the "front to back" alignment of the bandsaw table to the rear edge of the blade might change with the different widths of the blades used? Would a 5/8" blade align exactly the same "front to back" with the table as a 1/4" blade.
I would probably have to try my different blades myself to answer that question.
I am inclined to agree with your analogy a hand saw.

I did "reshim" and I am close to having the blade square to the table in both directions. However, I quit trying to get closer because I can't find the combination of shims that would get me closer. The way it is now the bottom surface of a board contacts the blade a wee bit before it contacts the top (the infeed edge of the table would have to be raised a tiny bit to achieve that).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

garys wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am I look at a bandsaw much like I look at a hand saw. The blade needs to cut perfectly perpendicular "side to side" . With a handsaw, that depends on the person holding the saw straight.
You don't cut curves with a handsaw.

The issue is when cutting curves in thicker materials, the walls are not perpendicular. For me that would be puzzle and bandsaw boxes.

Regarding blade thickness changing the angle. This is true to an extent. However I will not be cutting accurate circles with my 1/2 and 5/8" resaw blades. I have trued my table to a 3/16 blade, and verified that the 1/8 and 1/4 are also square.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am I look at a bandsaw much like I look at a hand saw. The blade needs to cut perfectly perpendicular "side to side" . With a handsaw, that depends on the person holding the saw straight. On a bandsaw, that depends on the table sitting perfectly perpendicular to the sides of the blade.
It is very important if you use the band saw to cut tenons.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

jsburger wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:22 pm
It is very important if you use the band saw to cut tenons.
Yes.
And another example from Nick Engler's book "Using the Bandsaw"
20210228_132651.jpg
20210228_132651.jpg (422.26 KiB) Viewed 1457 times