built in office bookshelf

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

AEA
Gold Member

built in office bookshelf

Post by AEA »

Just finished my built in office bookcase, 3/4" red oak plywood and 3/4" x 2 1/2" and some 3 1/2" cherry to trim off the plywood edges. Back is 3/32 floor underlayment.
I haven't decided how to trim out the window yet. Blend in or contrast? I go back and forth.
Red oak stain on everything and finished with 2 coats water based Polycylic semi gloss.
1 shelf is dadoed and glued into the uprights all the way across and also the top shelf under the window is glued into dados.
I used Weldbond for all the glue joints.
I used my router table for all rounders and flutes. Not the ShopSmith.

Had to submit picture in 2 halves to be accepted.
Attachments
IMG_1376 2.jpeg
IMG_1376 2.jpeg (632.28 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
IMG_1376 3.jpeg
IMG_1376 3.jpeg (638.13 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
algale
Platinum Member

Re: built in office bookshelf

Post by algale »

Well that is spectacular!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

I think Algale said it best!
Well Done.

John
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You should submit this to Shopsmith. They have been soliciting pictures like this.

Fantastic. You should be very proud.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Thanks all, I am very pleased with how it turned out. (If I wasn't I wouldn't have posted)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

AEA wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:36 pm I haven't decided how to trim out the window yet. Blend in or contrast? I go back and forth.
It looks great. What did you have in mind with the window? I mean are you keeping the blinds or thinking of changing them? I think you could go in many different directions. You could even do wood blinds/shutters to match but that may be too much wood all on one wall. I think something to contrast with the wood would be nice, e.g. a different texture like drapes to replace the blinds or keep the blinds and put a cornice/valence on the top perhaps?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Very nice. It is rewarding when you put in all that work and it turns out so well.
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Rfguy:
It looks great. What did you have in mind with the window? I mean are you keeping the blinds or thinking of changing them? I think you could go in many different directions. You could even do wood blinds/shutters to match but that may be too much wood all on one wall. I think something to contrast with the wood would be nice, e.g. a different texture like drapes to replace the blinds or keep the blinds and put a cornice/valence on the top perhaps?

Yep now you see what is clogging up my brain.

I'm leaning more for the contrast, but...if I do wood blinds and similar trim maybe instead of too much wood look, maybe it would blend in and disappear until I opened them up? Hmmm...

still stuck. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

Garys:
Amen!!!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

AEA wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm Yep now you see what is clogging up my brain.

I'm leaning more for the contrast, but...if I do wood blinds and similar trim maybe instead of too much wood look, maybe it would blend in and disappear until I opened them up? Hmmm...

still stuck. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It is all personal preference. One question, how often are the blinds pulled up or are they down/closed most of the time? Personally I like combining textures for contrast, e.g. fabric with wood, metal with wood, stone with metal or wood, etc., etc. If it were me I would probably keep the blinds and put either drapes over them (if blinds stay closed more often), or a cornice up top (if blinds stay open more often). Either way, I would do an Earth tone...I am partial to reds so I would like a burgundy color cornice/drapes with the wood color you have. Just my personal preference though.

P.S. What you have now doesn't look bad either...just giving some other options just in case.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor