New Forum Members

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

New Forum Members

Post by jsburger »

Are new forum members being accepted or is something broken? Ever since admin fixed the SPAM problem the number of new forum members has dropped due to the BOTS not being able to get in. However, we were still getting some new members. The newest member listed on the home page (Veronakhy) has been there for about a month. What say you moderators?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Forum Members

Post by RFGuy »

Definitely has been quieter lately on the forum, so you might have a point on new forum members and whether they can gain access or not...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A moderator has to look at new members and view what they posted. If it is spam then they are removed along with the post and they are banned which includes their IP address. So that is why you are not seeing the spam and not seeing the new members who try to spam, they never make it to the forum.

I will say the activity has slowed way down. I think there was a list of easy sites to spam and we were on it. Now with the new measures it is whole new ball game for them. Yes they can get in by posting an acceptable posting but when they start the spam they are soon gone.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I totally understand all that. We used to have a few new legitimate/contributing new members after the change. Now there hasn't been one in over a month. Just wondering.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Generally speaking, new members have been new owners of Shopsmith tools looking for information or help on tools. Something I have noticed lately in my area is very few Shopsmith tools for sale therefor fewer new to Shopsmith owners. I don't know if that is happening elsewhere or if it has an effect on potential new members to the forum. Hopefully new Shopsmith owners are not going just to other groups and not joining this one.

For those of you looking here as guests, and I see 99 of you right now, if you are new or even not-so-new to Shopsmith tools and are considering joining I encourage you to join, ask questions and share information.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Gold Member

Post by MODERATOR »

It has been 5 days since the last attempt was made by a scammer to join this forum. Totally due to the filtering of all new members. Any new member need not fear of being banned etc.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

MODERATOR wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 pm It has been 5 days since the last attempt was made by a scammer to join this forum. Totally due to the filtering of all new members. Any new member need not fear of being banned etc.
Thank you, Moderator! I am enjoying the new spam-free format!!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:26 pm
MODERATOR wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 pm It has been 5 days since the last attempt was made by a scammer to join this forum. Totally due to the filtering of all new members. Any new member need not fear of being banned etc.
Thank you, Moderator! I am enjoying the new spam-free format!!
I think ADMIN is the one to thank !
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DavidMcM
Gold Member

Post by DavidMcM »

As one of the newer members, it took a couple of months and multiple calls to Shopsmith to get my account activated. I started in December and finaly got the account activated in February. I almost quit trying. The issue was I could create the account but never received the activation email. Maybe I was just unlucky but possibly others have had the same issue.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Did you look in your Spam - Junk folder? More often than not that's where these activation emails end up.