Help with faded warning label please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Help with faded warning label please

Post by reible »

I have two machines of that vintage, both came to me used but neither of them have that label. My original machine has been painted and I don't recall if there was a label now or not, it is a 1976 factory fresh one which is now a powerpro.

My guess is the label is a metallic sticker, it seems to be what shopsmith used and if so you can buy that material at art/craft stores and print it on either a laser or inkjet. The inkjet would require a clear coat to be really stable. I've done for things at work and I've been retired for years but I expect the material have only gotten better. It comes in different weights and it seems that I recall them even having one with a peal off backing sticker...... if not you can use a spray adhesive.

Printing places might well have this option as well. It might be cheaper since your needs are small. However if you did buy some sheets and print them some people here might be willing to share your cost for a sticker or two.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Ed,
Thanks for the suggestions about trying an arts & craft store for metallic type label material. I tried getting a silverish-grey background, but that didn't survive the exporting/importing from one program and file format to another, and probably would not have looked as good as the metallic type. It will probably be a few weeks before I get a chance to have printed, but I'll probably do an entire sheet full of this version and maybe the Greenie / Goldie version and make extras available to anyone who asks.
br549
Platinum Member

CAUTION label for 1980 Mark V Re-created

Post by br549 »

Finally got back on this project. I tweaked the font a little more and got a version acceptable to me. I also tried making a PhotoShop version with slightly different font and color of red, but in the end my first attempt looked best to me. Thru OnLineLabels.com I was able to get a sample of their silver polyester laser printer label stock and had a test copy made at local copy shop. It's about as close as I could get to matching the overall silver background appearance and color red of the larger adjacent label on my machine, and finally got to the point where I had to kill the artist.

I have 3 extras of this style, and 13 of the PhotoShop versions, if anyone else would like one already made. Just PM me with your address.

Also attached are .jpg files of the AutoCAD and PhotoShop versions, in case anyone wants to print their own.

If anyone wants a higher resolution version or original format of any of these, just send me a private message and I can send via regular email where attachment size is not so limited.
Attachments
Installed on Mark V
Installed on Mark V
P1121280.JPG (283.87 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
Extras available for the asking
Extras available for the asking
P1121285.JPG (292.62 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
Created with AutoCAD, exported and saved as jpg
Created with AutoCAD, exported and saved as jpg
Shopsmith Caution Label re-created with AutoCAD.jpg (456.5 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
Created with PhotoShop ... this is the truer red version; also did another with slightly darker red
Created with PhotoShop ... this is the truer red version; also did another with slightly darker red
Shopsmith Caution Label Adobe PhotoShop version.jpg (466.27 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Br549 THANKS for the labels. I FINALLY got a aroundtoit and installed it.
Attachments
The orginal.
The orginal.
SAM_2164.JPG (234.05 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
The new one.
The new one.
SAM_2165.JPG (234.88 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Lou231
Bronze Member

Post by Lou231 »

you have any labels left could you please send me one

Louis Higley
819 azelia st
Alamogordo,Nm 88310

E-mail - lou.231@hotmail.com

Thank you
Lou231
Bronze Member

Post by Lou231 »

This is for BR549
thanks
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

You want to add more warning stickers to your Mark V? I guess I prefer to have fewer of these warning stickers on my devices. Just curious.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Lou231 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 am you have any labels left could you please send me one
Sure ... I will get them in the mail today. I'll send one of each (the AutoCad version, and the two Photoshop versions).
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Something to note about this warning label. Depending on when your Mark 5, if it is a Greenie, was made the page number changed. It was first page 4, followed by page 6 than by early 1957 it was page 2 to match the Manual's page for the warning. That covers Manuals through the first Shopsmith Inc. Manual in 1973. You should check the Manual that came with your Mark 5/V for the correct page number. I'm not sure if the page number changed later in the Manuals before the "C" Headstock. The one I designed as a replacement was printed on clear label sheets. For the Greenies and Goldies it is applied directly to the painted surface but gray "B" headstocks need the silver backing.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Lou231
Bronze Member

Post by Lou231 »

Thank you
I'm rebuilding a mark 5 that was left outside in New Mexico