A couple small projects

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

A couple small projects

Post by bainin »

I haven't been very motivated to get down in the shop lately, though I had obtained a Wen Spindle sander to help with some holiday decorations.

I sent one to my mother for Christmas, and she turns around and puts in an order for 10 more for her friends :)

Just using a WWOA template and a compound cut on the bandsaw-they are pretty quick to make. As I had a 6" cedar post leftover from my
outdoor light experiment, I started making the deer to fulfil the unexpected order - almost done :)

The spindle sander really helps on those curved surfaces btw .
deer.jpg
deer.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
One thing Im trying to imagine is what I could make with the leftover irregular deer parts..thats alot of nice cedar to just toss in the fireplace. Any thoughts?
deeparts.jpg
deeparts.jpg (78.58 KiB) Viewed 3791 times

Another project that popped up unexpectedly as a result of COVID, one of the boys destroyed his crappy IKEA desk and needed a replacement overnite to attend remote school. Luckily I had some leftover birch plywood to quickly come up with a replacement. It came out pretty good and reasonably matched his existing wall shelf there. Custom job including pencil trays and foot rest ! I didnt bother with veneer, just edge routing and polyurethane to get it done quick.

The foot rest doubles as a brace to hold everything together :) don't tell him that. Back to school !
desk1.jpg
desk1.jpg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Foot rest+Trays
desk2.jpg
desk2.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
Finally-with the weather threatening to warm here, the wife is wanting some basic garden boxes-so i put her to work on that project. Looking at garden boxes online, the prices are outrageous...so we decided to build them ourselves just using pine. Marine epoxied the end grain edges to seal them, priming and painting the surfaces-hopefully they will last a few seasons.
gardenbox.jpg
gardenbox.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
This one will be a few weeks before finished and in the garden... our little indoor horticulture grow box has already sprouted tomatoes, habeneros and guajillo peppers...so we need to get serious about the garden boxes.

Hope you are all staying safe and getting in the shop !

b
algale
Platinum Member

Re: A couple small projects

Post by algale »

Nice projects! Especially impressed with the desk and how quickly you made it!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Thanks-didnt help the kids remote learning being high on polyurethane fumes for a few days =)
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Continuing on into spring...2 appropriate projects.

Some raised bed planters for the lady - just some 2x12 pine .
raisedbed.jpg
raisedbed.jpg (252.92 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
and the then neccessary tissue boxes for the allergies created :)
tissueboxes.jpg
tissueboxes.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
i had some leftover cherry and walnut pieces from the game boards, and with the carter guides on the band saw-was able to resaw them down and stretch them out to make boxes.

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Well you have definitely been more productive than I have been in the shop lately. All of these look good, but I really like how those tissue box covers turned out. Cherry has been my favorite lately...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

+1 on the tissue boxes, and the cherry. Beautiful wood, and beautiful craftsmanship.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

All excellent! 👍
Stoing
Bronze Member

Post by Stoing »

looks cool :)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member