10e jointer and shaper fence

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

10e jointer and shaper fence

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

I recently acquired a model 10e and it came with a jointer/shaper fence, a few goodies and a jointer blade assembly. I looked through all of the arbors that it came with, but none seemed to be the one that fit it. I looked through all of the manuals I could find online, but I wasn't able to find a good description of how it attaches or what spindle to use. Can someone help me out with this?

The unit looks to have been well cared for and is in MUCH better shape than some of the Mark V's I've rescued and restored. My goal with this one is to clean it and get it back into prime condition so it can continue making sawdust and living as a piece of history and testament to the genius of these tools.

I'm also looking for a lathe tool rest and arm as the original one must have gotten lost over the past 3/4 of a century. Does anyone have a spare or have the specs I could use to build a replacement?

It doesn't have an upper or lower saw guard, I may have to make my own as I hear those are very hard to find. Has anyone made there own?

Thanks in advance.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 10e jointer and shaper fence

Post by JPG »

IF the 'blade assembly' is what I think you are referring to, it simply mounts directly on the quill shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

So lets make sure we are talking about the same parts. The Model 10E and 10ER Jointer/Shaper Fence that replaces the Table Insert is shown in the picture below.

_
10E-ER Jointer-Shaper Fence.jpg
10E-ER Jointer-Shaper Fence.jpg (144.94 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
_
The 2-1/2" Jointer Cutter Head is shown in the picture below. As JPG said it attaches directly to the spindle.

_
12 230 Jointer Cutter with box.jpg
12 230 Jointer Cutter with box.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
_
Below is a PDF of the Instructions

_
Jointer-Shaper Fence.pdf
(212.6 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
_
If you don't have the Jointer/Shaper Fence shown above is it the Shaper Fence made for the Mark 5 which also fits the Model 10E and 10ER? It was designed that way and the first Manual shows it on a 10ER.

Lathe Tool Rest Assemblies come up for sale regularly. The 8" tool rest itself is interchangeable with current ones. There has been little change to them over the years. The Arm and Post with the collar are not interchangeable with Mark 5/V ones. The post is a solid rod and there were two versions of the Arm and either will work.

The Upper Saw Blade Guard for the 10E would be the one with the slots in the side although the later ones will work too. The Lower Saw Blade Guard is very rare and I have the only one we know of. If you want a Lower Saw Blade Guard, one made for the Mark 5/V works very well on the Model 10's. It is P/N 505627 and 505628 for the Upper and Lower Saw Blade Guard shown below.

_
505627 Upper and 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guards r.jpg
505627 Upper and 505628 Lower Saw Blade Guards r.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
_
I have a set I use on my Model 10ER. When using it I mount the Saw Blade on the 5/8" Arbor with the machined washer first followed by the blade than the spacer and nut. This puts the blade in better alignment for use in this guard set. See the picture below.

_
505628 on 10ER.jpg
505628 on 10ER.jpg (103.15 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for. I need to clean up the jointer blade assembly more. I didn't see the two set screws that attach to the main drive spindle. I believe that I have one of the first versions of the fence that sit in and replace the insert in the table. I had an earlier model 500 lower saw guard a few years ago, but I sold it with a completely restored mark v. I many have to keep an eye on eBay for another one, or make my own. I think MKC tools may make a custom lower guard with a hose connector. Might keep that in mind as well.

As far as the lathe tool rest, I was looking more for the arm dimensions so I can try to fabricate one. The post hole and tool rest holes are a known diameter. How about the angle and length? Thank you again.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF it is an early one it will have wooden fences attached to the base.

How about an oem tool rest 'holder'? PM snail mail address.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As JPG said the Model 10E and 10ER Jointer/Shaper Fence also came with wood fences like the Mark 5's depending on when it was purchased, early or late production.

Below is the 1st version of the Lathe Tool Rest Arm and it's dimensions. The Post hole is 1" diameter and the Tool Rest hole is 3/4" diameter.

_
105-2 Tool Rest Arm labeled.jpg
105-2 Tool Rest Arm labeled.jpg (206.23 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
_
Sorry I don't have the actual angle of the rise from post to rest but it is 1-7/8" from the top of the post mount end to the top of the rest mount end. The later 2nd version Arm is a 1/2" longer overall at 7". It's post mount is 1-3/4" tall leaving 2-1/4" from the top of the post mount end to the top of the rest mount end.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Thank you Russ! These are the dimensions I was looking for. I had an idea that I could 3d print and then maybe cast an aluminum arm, dunno if it'd hold up though. I'll keep my noodle on it.

How many folks use there 10's as wood lathe's? I have an upgraded 510 that works pretty well for the few items I've turned so far. I'm looking forward to cleaning this one up and seeing what she'll do.

It also came with a speed control, but it looks like it will need to be very carefully taken apart, cleaned, and inspected. Everything looks good so far. I'll have to wait a while to do a more through teardown and cleaning until after I finish moving. I'd does appear that the center floating sheave doesn't want to move at all at this point. I tried a little pb blaster to see if maybe it was stuck, gentle pressure only didn't seem to make a difference. I left it at that and carefully wrapped it and put it in a box to clean later. I'll keep looking around the forum for write ups on the teardown, inspection, and re build. The gauge on the side goes 0-8. I was very careful to not force anything and to not compress the two springs. Only tried to turn it a few turns before deciding to not tempt fate, as I understand they are a bit touchy and can break if not taken care of. Thanks again everyone.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK more direct this time.

Send me yer mailing address and I will send you an oem(magna tool) tool rest arm.

I have not laid my hands on it recently, but am sure I have an 'extra'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ShoptimusPrime wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:55 am It also came with a speed control, but it looks like it will need to be very carefully taken apart, cleaned, and inspected. Everything looks good so far. I'll have to wait a while to do a more through teardown and cleaning until after I finish moving. I'd does appear that the center floating sheave doesn't want to move at all at this point. I tried a little pb blaster to see if maybe it was stuck, gentle pressure only didn't seem to make a difference. I left it at that and carefully wrapped it and put it in a box to clean later. I'll keep looking around the forum for write ups on the teardown, inspection, and re build. The gauge on the side goes 0-8. I was very careful to not force anything and to not compress the two springs. Only tried to turn it a few turns before deciding to not tempt fate, as I understand they are a bit touchy and can break if not taken care of. Thanks again everyone.
Link to a thread showing how I disassembled, cleaned up, and repaired, my speed changer.
viewtopic.php?p=232471
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Your Speed Changer with the scale going from 0 to 8 is an earlier one. DO NOT TRY to get it to 8. Actually past 5 even or you will break it trying. When changing speeds you should stop turning the crank when the springs at the end of the crank shaft begin to compress. It is unknown why the early scale went to 8. The parts of all the Speed Changers made for the Model 10's are pretty much the same and have the same range. Guys, I did say the parts are pretty much the same so the little differences are not really important here or now.

The Model 10's are great for Lathe work. They are heavy and with the Speed Changer get down to 425 RPM's. I have seen where users have made a larger diameter pulley to slow it down even more. You would have to have a Speed Reducer or a DVR motor to get the Mark V slower than its 700 RPM's.
Russ

Mark V 520