Platinum Member

Re: If you are interested in what looks like a good deal

Post by JPG »

I would be more inclined to attribute it to insufficient patience etc.. :D

P.S. I hate hand sanding also!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I've been shopping for a battery operated sander that uses one of the battery types I already own and have more or less decide on a dewalt. The problem has been trying to find one. Same thing with the corded dewalt 611 that I want.
I am looking at battery operated sanders as well but am concerned with the dust collection capability without the vacuum attached. The key advantage of a battery operated sander is no cords so dust collection just using the bag is critical. I have been looking at the Festool sanders shown in this video but they are several times the price of the dewalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FfhBenAIrc

Another issue is how much the bag reduces maneuverability and how often you have to empty it. So I will be anxiously waiting for your review.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, I share your concerns regarding cordless sanders not really being "cordless" because you still really need a vac hose connected to it. I'll wait for Ed to use this one a while and give us his review. Who knows, he may make a convert out of me. I did finally break down and get a cordless trim router and love it. I still use it with a hose instead of a bag, but it is more about it being small and lightweight so I am less concerned with it being cordless. I am still uneasy though the more I step into the cordless side because I know in a few years when the battery technology changes again that I may be stuck with many pricey tools and no way to power them. At least with corded tools they will run until the power grid fails or is hacked.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I had that problem of battery updates with my old Ryobi cordless drill + flashlight (nicd i think).
Ryobi stopped supporting it (after many years) but would ya know it- a Chinese manufacturer made a
replacement which has allowed me to continue to use it, although I have also upgraded to a 20V Dewalt Lithium which
runs circles around the old battery tech in power and use before recharge-though i prefer my old ryobi for the drill itself.

I'm confident , in time, a second source for the 20V Dewalt will become available...but by then the battery tech will have moved on to more power and longer use before recharge again .
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

bainin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm I had that problem of battery updates with my old Ryobi cordless drill + flashlight (nicd i think).
Ryobi stopped supporting it (after many years) but would ya know it- a Chinese manufacturer made a
replacement which has allowed me to continue to use it, although I have also upgraded to a 20V Dewalt Lithium which
runs circles around the old battery tech in power and use before recharge-though i prefer my old ryobi for the drill itself.

I'm confident , in time, a second source for the 20V Dewalt will become available...but by then the battery tech will have moved on to more power and longer use before recharge again .
What would we do without the Chinese? They help repair phones and battery tools there. In general, buying parts from China really helps to extend the life of the tool. There is not always free money to buy a new device.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The sanders hose connection doesn't fit the Festool 27mm hose. It might fit the bigger hose but that is not an option I like. So I figured the Dewalt site would provide me some options and the only thing it did was confuse me. I didn't count them but they has to be about 8 options and none of them explained very well. I guess they have one that will work but for the life of me I don't know which one????

So I googled and found a printed one that should work and ordered it. One has to hope it is well enough made and really does fit and with the lack of clear choices from Dewalt this seemed to be an option. If someone has decoded the dewalt system and knows the part I need I would be interesting in hearing from you.

I have yet to see if I have any options with the Rockler hose systems I have that might fit. I also have a pretty extensive adapter selection that I can search through..........

And now I've started looking at the dewalt 1/4 sheet battery sander(DCW200B) as a possible future purchase and I wonder what type connection it might need??? Have to see if the stores have one to look at. More on this later.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Did you see this one, DeWalt part # DMV9000? I think this is a universal adapter that DeWalt sells for multiple tools and I think you sander is included in it. This should get you back to a standard 1-1/4" vacuum hose connection. I think you can insert the Festool 27mm hose end inside of this adapter, but don't know that for sure. It is on Amazon, so if you have Prime shipping you might be able to get this one faster than the 3D printed one, but it isn't cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWV9000-U ... B00B6K4VKS
DWV9000.jpg
DWV9000.jpg (106.69 KiB) Viewed 858 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

reible wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:23 pm ...And now I've started looking at the dewalt 1/4 sheet battery sander(DCW200B) as a possible future purchase and I wonder what type connection it might need??? Have to see if the stores have one to look at. More on this later.

Ed
I can't answer the hose adapter questions, but I bought the same RO Sander in a different package from HD a while back. It did not have the 5AH battery but did include the DCW200B 1/4 sheet sander. The two sanders use the same dust bag, connects the same way with a 1/8 turn (maybe less) twist lock. Presumably they'll use the same hose adapter. I gotta say, it's not obvious to me why DW would not list accessories they sell somewhere in the manual. The 1/4 sheet sander comes with a tool for punching 8 dust collection holes in your 1/4 sheet abrasives in the appropriate spots.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 pm I gotta say, it's not obvious to me why DW would not list accessories they sell somewhere in the manual.

- David
Yeah, I have seen similar problems with other brands. I don't know if there is a "good" brand for this out there or not. It took some digging to find the DeWalt adapter that I posted and I didn't get any help from their website. :( My Dad bought the Makita tracksaw last year and I had a time of trying to find the right adapter for him to use a non-Makita vacuum with it. Bottomline is these guys want you to buy their entire platform, i.e. all their tools and dust collector to go with it. When you try to mix and match brands like this it is a real PIA. It should be easier.
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Good to know the 1/4 sheet sander has the same vacuum attachment.

Not at all sure the amazon adapter will work, it has threads that might work with other hoses but festool???

The sander I have that I'm wanting to upgrade is my old Makita, these were the standard for many years so you too might well own one, at least if you are old enough. Last year I did some refurbishment which required me to remove the felt pad it came with. They didn't seem to have the same replacement so I got what I could to replace it. It had sat a few years in disrepair so I was glad to get it back functional but it is a single OPM and no dust collection. It was pretty good back in the day but that was a lot of years ago and without any dust collection, well...........
mak1.jpg
mak1.jpg (116.04 KiB) Viewed 833 times
mak2.jpg
mak2.jpg (166.57 KiB) Viewed 833 times
I should see if the manual has a date, I sometimes wrote on the manual the date of purchase but not always.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]