Accessory Storage Idea Thread

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sadair
Silver Member

Re: Accessory Storage Idea Thread

Post by sadair »

Garys, I really like your roll around cabinet you made. Could you let me know where I might get plans for it?
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

Zalastar,

Up until about 2 years ago I stored my SPTs on shelves. When I bought my Dewalt Planer in 2017, however, I also bought the Dewalt stand to hold it. I was so impressed with the stand -- especially the ease with which I could roll it around the shop -- that I later bought another Dewalt stand in 2019 to mount my SPTs to. There are several things I really like about this Dewalt stand. First, the SPTs are at about the same height as my SS so transferring tools is easy. Second, the stand has a very small footprint. Third, it has two storage shelves that keep all my SPT jigs close to the tools. Fourth, by the time I costed out 3/4" BB plywood and casters the price differential was not too much. According to my records I paid $143 at Home Depot for the stand. I didn't see the same stand on the HD website this morning. I bought this one because it had large, multi-directional casters and a higher table top (i.e. it is not the Dewalt planer stand, but rather some other rolling tool stand that Dewalt makes).

-Erik

2021 0404 Shopsmith SPT Stand.jpeg
2021 0404 Shopsmith SPT Stand.jpeg (372.75 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Mine is pretty simple, just a couple of cabinets on a rolling base with a top. The SPT's are mount on the top a few inches higher than the SS. The previous owner of my first SS had 6 of the SPT mounting stands but only had the Bandsaw and Jointer and never fulfilled his plan of adding additional SPT's The smaller parts will hang on the slat wall once I eventually get those parts unpacked.

The wood in the bottom is cut to size for drawers but I need to get dust collection set up in the new shop before I can plane them down to 15mm for my Blum drawer slides.
SS Accessory storage cabinet
SS Accessory storage cabinet
IMG_2224.jpeg (322.12 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

sadair wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 am Garys, I really like your roll around cabinet you made. Could you let me know where I might get plans for it?
There aren't any plans for the cabinet. I build things from ideas in my head and no plans are ever drawn up on paper. After I built the first one from oak, I built a second one from cherry for my Son to store his small Shopsmith "stuff". It is the same box in different wood. If you want one, try to copy it from the pictures if that works for you.
weschest.jpg
weschest.jpg (140.98 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

garys wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:23 pm
sadair wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 am Garys, I really like your roll around cabinet you made. Could you let me know where I might get plans for it?
There aren't any plans for the cabinet. I build things from ideas in my head and no plans are ever drawn up on paper. After I built the first one from oak, I built a second one from cherry for my Son to store his small Shopsmith "stuff". It is the same box in different wood. If you want one, try to copy it from the pictures if that works for you.
weschest.jpg
Such a chest of drawers can also be used for storing clothes. I don't like bulky wardrobes. I have only one closet - to store jackets, coats, jackets and part of such a closet is reserved for my wife's dresses. Everything else is in the dressers.
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

I used a two drawer file cabinet, put it on a caster platform and made it for two SPTs. Can make it whatever height you need to make the lifting to use easier. I use the drawers for plans, books and manuals.
ED3BE810-FE6C-4D68-958D-942F204CFAA5.jpeg
ED3BE810-FE6C-4D68-958D-942F204CFAA5.jpeg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
E9AA5964-85FE-410C-BD59-80E0A2F871CA.jpeg
E9AA5964-85FE-410C-BD59-80E0A2F871CA.jpeg (94 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
KayBur
Silver Member

Post by KayBur »

wrmnfzy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 pm I used a two drawer file cabinet, put it on a caster platform and made it for two SPTs. Can make it whatever height you need to make the lifting to use easier. I use the drawers for plans, books and manuals.ED3BE810-FE6C-4D68-958D-942F204CFAA5.jpegE9AA5964-85FE-410C-BD59-80E0A2F871CA.jpeg
Judging by the photo, the design turned out to be not only comfortable, but also quite comfortable and stable. What you can’t imagine. It seems to me that this is even better than doing something to order in specialized workshops - there it will cost a lot.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You have seen some great storage ideas already. Below is a storage cabinet I made for my first Mark V now 7 STP's and accessories. The box plus wheels dimensions are 48" W x 38" H x 19" D. As you can see it holds one each of most of the SPT's and other accessories. My Scroll Saw sits on a Power Station and my Planer is the pro model on it's own stand. Unfortunately I have outgrown it and need more storage as I now have a Mark 7 and a Mark V 520 not to mention the other Shopsmith models I have.

_
Storage - front.jpg
Storage - front.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
_
Storage - right.jpg
Storage - right.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
_
Storage - back.jpg
Storage - back.jpg (167.12 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
_
Storage - left.jpg
Storage - left.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I remembered seeing Russ's storage cart and was going to mention it in an earlier reply but couldn't find its thread. I'd love to see its replacement when it's done ... it's the "H.O. Studley Tool Chest" https://mymodernmet.com/studley-tool-chest/ of SS accessories carts!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I don't have a plan for an additional storage cart yet. I think I will work on restoring the Shopsmiths I currently have before deciding on what to make next. I do have additional storage mostly for older accessories which is a 5 drawer tool chest under the Model 4E Jointer and Model 10 Jig Saw shown below. Currently, I prefer portable storage over fixed storage on a wall. I do have a number of additional items that are not stored that well or are very accessible. Some Mark series and some Model 10.

_
4E Jointer and Jig Saw.jpg
4E Jointer and Jig Saw.jpg (52.24 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.