Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jumpmaster
Gold Member

Re: Beginning fixing up a 10E — Need help please

Post by jumpmaster »

JPG wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:34 pm Same way thee rounds the od.
Right, but need outside jaws to round the inside hole, correct?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yer making it complicated. Think of a long blank in the chuck. Shape only the external end(both faces od and id. Cut off and drill the center hole or let the boring cut it off. Think re baby rattle ring turning.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

You’re going to have to explain it to me like I’m five years old. I’ve never used a lathe before. :(
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jumpmaster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm You’re going to have to explain it to me like I’m five years old. I’ve never used a lathe before. :(
LOTS of videos on YouTube about turning.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

jsburger wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm
jumpmaster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm You’re going to have to explain it to me like I’m five years old. I’ve never used a lathe before. :(
Yeah. Thanks for all the help. I was asking specifically how to turn this specific object I put in the pics. If you’re not going to be helpful, how about you move along? I sure won’t miss your witty little unhelpful snippets. I’ve watched hundreds of videos on turning. Never saw anything covering how to do this specifically.

Going to see if the forum has a block list so I can add you to it. Edit: There is and I did.
jumpmaster
Gold Member

Post by jumpmaster »

Screw it. I’m out. I don’t need ******** like this piece of **** in my life.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jumpmaster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 pm
jsburger wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm
Yeah. Thanks for all the help. I was asking specifically how to turn this specific object I put in the pics. If you’re not going to be helpful, how about you move along? I sure won’t miss your witty little unhelpful snippets. I’ve watched hundreds of videos on turning. Never saw anything covering how to do this specifically.

Going to see if the forum has a block list so I can add you to it.
Well excuse me!!!

You did say "You’re going to have to explain it to me like I’m five years old. I’ve never used a lathe before. "

Your reply came from a 5 year old.

If you have never used a lathe before it might be wise to turn some non specific items before trying to do what you want to specifically do. Like just learning how ti make a piece of square stock round. Please tell me how someone can explain to you how to turn what you want if you have never used a lathe. Good grief!

Yes the forum has a block list and you are welcome to use it. If your skin is that thin I really don't care. Have a nice day if you know how.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Jumpmaster,

John and JPG were only trying to help, so please treat them with respect. Conversing online (e-mail, forums, DM, etc.) is difficult because you can't sense the tone or inflection of the person talking and you can't see facial expressions. I have been learning this lesson myself for a long time...face-to-face communication is ALWAYS better. I am a beginner woodturner myself having started only 1-2 years ago even though I have been woodworking for 30+ years. Is it the ring you are trying to turn? If so, have you seen this Doug Reid video below? I believe the Shopsmith demonstrators (guys at Lowes selling it) used to use this woodturning, i.e. turning a wooden ring to demonstrate the capabilities of the tool. I haven't turned one of these myself yet but Doug does a good job of explaining this. In the video he shows how to make a captive ring (like a puzzle), but of course for your case you just remove the ring when finished. Like anything in woodturning it takes practice, practice, practice. Doug makes turning this ring look very easy...and it is once you have practiced it so many times.

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Confrontations like what has just occurred here is, in my humble opinion, one of the reasons why member activity has dropped off so dramatically.

This forum is rapidly losing that which attracts "long term" , "active" membership.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, it would be nice to see some analytics to know for sure, but definitely seems like activity is way down the last 6+ months. Also, I haven't kept up with the FB groups, but checking just now I don't see as much activity/day there as what I used to see a year ago. Either everyone is very busy in their shops (a good thing) or something is up with online activity for Shopsmith in general (not just this forum).

Just an fyi...but I have asked basic questions in response to a post by experienced members here in the past 6 months that have gone totally unanswered. Then a day or week later I see them respond to another thread, but no answer to my question. This is what prompted me to post about how "New Posts" work on the forum a few weeks back. Either I have overstayed my welcome on this forum or everyone is spending less time on the forum these days and missing queries posed to them. I have started pulling back from this forum myself for this very reason, i.e. it isn't much fun to ask someone a question and it never get answered.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor