Cleaning sooty aluminum and other parts?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eagspoo
Gold Member

Cleaning sooty aluminum and other parts?

Post by eagspoo »

I'm restoring a Mark V 500 that was in a house fire, no direct heat or flames but it has heavy soot deposits on all the painted surfaces and a lot of the bare aluminum (picture below is about as bad as it gets, most other surfaces are somewhat better). I think the fire was about 10 years ago.

I'm wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for how to get those surfaces clean again? I tried soaking in warm soapy water and scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush - almost no effect. This stuff is tough. Mineral spirits on a cloth also did nothing.

Honestly my initial plan was to just do a functional restoration and not worry about cosmetic, but if there is a straight forward way I could get everything clean (not hours and hours of scrubbing) that would be nice also. One suggestion was to call an engine shop in case they have a bath I could put all the parts in but I'm worried that will remove the paint.

Any easy/quick solutions people know of? Like I said I don't want to open a can of worms, so if the only options include hours of scrubbing or risking damage or repainting, "just leave it alone" is a solution I can also accept.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.55.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.55.49 PM.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1146 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning sooty aluminum and other parts?

Post by JPG »

Fireplace cleaner?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Have you tried a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water? If it is soot then this mildly acidic solution should work to help remove the soot with a sponge/brush.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

FWIW, this is what I use on the glass in the door of my wood burning stove. It cleans it perfectly . Sometimes if there is burned on resin because a log fell against the door it is a little tough. it might work. I don't know. It might not work so well on th rough painted surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Hearth-G ... B01N4NNNMB
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

Tried Barkeeper's Friend and it worked ok. I'll also try Rutland, thanks for the tip!
eagspoo
Gold Member

Post by eagspoo »

BTW @jsburger, Rutland was perfect for this job. No idea how it works but it took the soot right off. Looks dramatically better.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Great! I had no idea if it would work or not. I just know it cleans the soot off of the glass in the door of my wood burning stove.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

You may want to rinse the parts afterward to neutralize the strong acid in this product. Otherwise it may eat into the paint if residue is left on it. Just a thought...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor