New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by RFGuy »

Jack,

Sorry it hasn't come in yet...you are a very patient man!
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

claimdude wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:48 am DC-6000 order update.... Spoke with Shopsmith yesterday and was told they are expecting the housing the first week of June and that the collector would ship soon after that. Hmmmm. If not for two reasons I likely would have cancelled my order by now, 1. I have a perfectly good DC-3000 serving the area of my shop that the new DC-6000 will serve, and 2. the area where the collector will sit is perfect for the DC-6000 (same spot the DC-3000 sits) and to date I have not found an acceptable replacement for the DC-3000 that will fit in the area I need it to fit ;-)
They say that patience is a virtue... I had a similar experience when I ordered the PowerPro and Double Tilt upgrades to modify a 520 into a M7. After the third missed shipping date (two of which, about two weeks apart, were "tomorrow") I came to the conclusion that CS doesn't actually know this information. There seems to be a system that CS is relying on that does not give accurate information. I gave up and never ask shipping dates any more, though this can create its own frustration at times.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:55 am
claimdude wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:48 am DC-6000 order update.... Spoke with Shopsmith yesterday and was told they are expecting the housing the first week of June and that the collector would ship soon after that. Hmmmm. If not for two reasons I likely would have cancelled my order by now, 1. I have a perfectly good DC-3000 serving the area of my shop that the new DC-6000 will serve, and 2. the area where the collector will sit is perfect for the DC-6000 (same spot the DC-3000 sits) and to date I have not found an acceptable replacement for the DC-3000 that will fit in the area I need it to fit ;-)
They say that patience is a virtue... I had a similar experience when I ordered the PowerPro and Double Tilt upgrades to modify a 520 into a M7. After the third missed shipping date (two of which, about two weeks apart, were "tomorrow") I came to the conclusion that CS doesn't actually know this information. There seems to be a system that CS is relying on that does not give accurate information. I gave up and never ask shipping dates any more, though this can create its own frustration at times.

- David
"SHIPPING" can occur only after product is available. The product does not become available until "RECEIVING" makes it available to the "STOCK ROOM". Receiving can't push it to the stockroom unless it was "PURCHASED" in a timely manner (based on need and inventory).

For Customer Service to answer a customer's question about availability is totally dependent upon the accuracy of the data system (both in house and otherwise).

So it appears to me as though CS has been set up as the fall guy for deficiencies throughout the supply chain; none of which they can do anything about.

RELAX - doing otherwise will just make you "OLD" quicker.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:02 pm
DLB wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:55 am

- David
"SHIPPING" can occur only after product is available. The product does not become available until "RECEIVING" makes it available to the "STOCK ROOM". Receiving can't push it to the stockroom unless it was "PURCHASED" in a timely manner (based on need and inventory).

For Customer Service to answer a customer's question about availability is totally dependent upon the accuracy of the data system (both in house and otherwise).

So it appears to me as though CS has been set up as the fall guy for deficiencies throughout the supply chain; none of which they can do anything about.

RELAX - doing otherwise will just make you "OLD" quicker.
So true as is the rest of your post. If you want something that bad you have to wait until you get it. If it takes longer than you think and cancel the order then you will never get it. In that case I guess you didn't want it that bad.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, but keep in mind this product was supposed to be available in Dec. 2020. Who purchases a woodworking tool thinking they won't get it for 6 months or more???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Well, it seems to be the reality today with a lot of things. Might as well get used to it for now.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:19 pm Yeah, but keep in mind this product was supposed to be available in Dec. 2020. Who purchases a woodworking tool thinking they won't get it for 6 months or more???
I really don't know...but then who purchases "sign unseen" something that has not been manufactured yet. I really loathe buying from a catalog something that I cannot touch and feel.

Then there was COVID and all of the issues that it brought to us.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

RFGuy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:19 pm Yeah, but keep in mind this product was supposed to be available in Dec. 2020. Who purchases a woodworking tool thinking they won't get it for 6 months or more???
I'm thinking there will be a lot of waiting for products in the next year or so. Factories are operating at low production due to the Government paying people to not work. We have a major wood shortage due to the mills not able to get workers to do the work. Shipping prices are up, again due to worker shortage.

And, Shopsmith isn't the only company dealing with production and shipping shortages. Look at what Harbor Freight is dealing with. Yes, 6 month or more delays on their dust collectors right now too. (Not Available Until Oct. 10)
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-indu ... +collector

Last Winter my Wife wanted another set of wood carving tools. After some research, she decided on a nice set of tools made by Two Cherries in Germany (probably the finest carving tools made). We then searched for someone in the US that had the set in stock. Pretty much every vendor said, "Out of Stock", and even Two Cherries in Germany said "Not available at this time". We did finally find a small woodworker supply shop in Wisconsin that had a set in stock yet so we ordered it as fast as possible and got it right away. I don't know if you could find that set today unless the Two Cherries factory in Germany is back in production and caught up to demand.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Another update on my DC-6000 order delay. I called yesterday, only on hold 3 or 4 minutes, and was told all the parts are in. I was told the units are being assembled in house and that they are expecting shipping them in June maybe toward the end of the month. I have been a fan of Woodpecker for years and have ordered/own many of their one time tools so the delays are not new to me. My shop is small and the spot where my DC3000 is sitting is where the DC-6000 is going. I couldn't find anything else that would fit the space which also has limited overhead. The current filter bag just kisses the bottom of a large cabinet. Also, the DC-6000 comes with the 2 1/2" port set up that will allow it to connect with my current piping, etc.

Jack
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Drum roll please....... Shipping notice received for DC-6000 today. Delivery expected end of business Wednesday 6/9!!

Jack