Just got a Shop Smith mark V 1982 model. What should I know?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MarnelKelis
Bronze Member

Just got a Shop Smith mark V 1982 model. What should I know?

Post by MarnelKelis »

I paid 400$ for it. I dont know a lot about them, the company seems legit and customer focused. I've heard that every upgrade make or accessories made are compatible with all years models? True? I was in the market for a lathe and saw this, which a lathe plus more. Was this a good call? It runs and sounds fine. Is very clean.
Last edited by MarnelKelis on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Just got a Shop Smith mark V 1982 model. What should I know?

Post by garys »

In my part of the country, that is a really good deal for a Mark V. And, the more accessories you got with it, the better the deal is.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Depending where you are that's a good deal. And there is a great deal of compatibility between parts. My 510 mixes parts from a 1954 Mark V, a 1985 510 , and a 21st century PowerPro motor.

You should take some pictures to post here. Show the machine and all the parts. There is a serial number of the nameplate on the left side of the head stock where the auxiliary spindles. The age of our machine can be determined from the serial number.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
AEA
Gold Member

Post by AEA »

yep, that would be a good deal in my part of the country too.
easy to upgrade it just takes money.
piece by piece over time makes it doable.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

MarnelKelis,

First off, Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. Unless it is a basket case it sounds like a good deal. I consider a number of factors including condition and completeness. Being in good condition and having all the original accessories adds value. Additional accessories are nice to have too and adds more functions to the Mark V.

Something I believe every Shopsmith Owner should have is an Owner's Manual. If it did not come with one then down load the PDF from the link below which is a summary manual from here on the Shopsmith website.
_
https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf
_
One of the first things I recommend you do is maintenance. That can be found in the summary manual. That includes lubricating the necessary parts in the Headstock to insure smooth operation. Following that you should check the alignment. The summary manual will also familiarize you with the operation of the Shopsmith Mark V.

You asked about upgrades and it is true that any upgrade that has come out since your Mark V was made can be added. Unless it has been upgraded already your Mark V would have the original table system known as the Mark V model 500 beginning in 1985. It is the Table System that determines which model of Mark V you have.

As Ed suggested if you post some pictures of your Mark V and the items that came with it we can help you identify what you have compared to what originally came with it from the factory and make recommendations on items to get or replace.

To confirm your Mark V was made in 1982 it should have a serial number between SS111917 and SS139577.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

MarnelKelis wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:58 am I paid 400$ for it. I dont know a lot about them, the company seems legit and customer focused. I've heard that every upgrade make or accessories made are compatible with all years models? True? I was in the market for a lathe and saw this, which a lathe plus more. Was this a good call? It runs and sounds fine. Is very clean.
---------------

What attachments did ya get with it ? depending on what you are planning to use it for upgrades are well worth it . check out the table and carriage upgrades . you will more than likely want to make some zero clearance inserts for the table , there are a lot of videos on how to .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Just as I thought, this is a SPAM thread. The OP has added links to his original post.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:20 pm Just as I thought, this is a SPAM thread. The OP has added links to his original post.

Removed the URL's.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:20 pm Just as I thought, this is a SPAM thread. The OP has added links to his original post.
It's like you can't trust random people on the internet anymore .
Last edited by edma194 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:34 pm
It's like you can't trust random people on the internet anymore.
The SPAMers are getting creative on moderated forums. It seems here that most of the time they post to a thread that is years old. Maybe they think nobody will notice. I have email notices turned on for all the forums so I see when someone posts to any thread. Ed Rieble has commented more than once on why a new "member's" first post is on a years old thread. Not the case here, but he posted on 10 June with a convincing post to get approved and added the SPAM links on 13 June.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT