Handle crank

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kgfaro
Gold Member

Re: Handle crank

Post by kgfaro »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:12 pm I went out and did a couple more measurements I didn't include yesterday. The shoulder is 5/16" in diameter and the head is 7/16" diameter the same as the Granger screw. As for the the measurements mine are are close but not precise and could easily be off 1/32 of an inch, so David's may be as accurate or more so than mine.

I do find it interesting that part number 523090 shows no results on the Shopsmith Website and the original part number 513418 is still on the parts list on the site but not available.

It does look like the Granger part will work in place of the shopsmith provided screw. At the most, to make it work, the handle may need to be shaved off on the end to shorten the bore length for the screw's shoulder to protrude./quote]

The whole number included the description but the young lady said the number does come up and they have 212 is of them
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

DLB wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:18 am
rpd wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:53 am I have a suspicion that this shoulder bolt might work.
https://www.grainger.com/product/FABORY-Standard-42NN90
That is a 5/8" (0.625) shoulder. Russ and I came up with slightly different shoulder lengths, and our measurements are in different threads. I have 11/16" (0.688), Russ said 21/32" (0.656). If I measure as accurately as I can I get 0.684". Best I can measure a knob the internal measurement is 0.638, but I'm not completely trusting accuracy on that. The shoulder needs to be slightly longer than 0.638 so the bolt seats on the shoulder.

The knob is plastic and could be easily modified to work with a 5/8" shoulder, IMO. The shoulder needs to protrude slightly to allow the knob to rotate on the shoulder.

- David
My reasoning was that parts like this would be designed to use standard components as much as possible.
My past experience measuring the shoulder bolt used to mount the A34 jigsaw on a 10ER is that the posted nominal size for the bolt does not exactly match the measured dimensions. :) viewtopic.php?p=244848#p244848
32nds is an odd unit for a standard part, but 21/32" - 1/32 = 5/8 (shoulder length), and 15/32 + 1/32 = 1/2 (threaded length) makes the total come out right.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yesterday I bought a screw with what, I believe, are the same measurements as the Grainger screw. I have a Hardware store nearby with an exceptionally large selection of bolts, nuts, screws, etc. It works fine as a replacement for the OEM screw. It does have a slightly longer shoulder length so the handle moves a bit more back and forth on the screw.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Longer shoulder length = ???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

:eek: :eek:
Last edited by kgfaro on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

kgfaro wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:38 pm Used the Grainger screw it works fine may have to sand the handle down a fraction to expose more shoulder. Now I just have to find a old 3/8 socket as a spacer
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Yes the shoulder length is slightly longer. I just measured it and it is 3/4" long not 5/8" as listed for the granger one. I thought I as buying a 5/8" shoulder length one but apparently the little boxes in the parts drawer were mixed up. I was going to measure it before I bought it but I only found metric measuring gauges in the store. I should have went to the tape measure and ruler isle. Compared to the OEM screw the shoulder is a bit longer. I will keep it in case I end up needing one someday. The one I bought does use the "SS Tool Kit" (a 5/32" Allen Wrench).

kgfaro,

You could check if Granger has the same one but with a 3/4" shoulder rather than the 5/8" one. The longer shoulder means no modifying (sanding down the end) of the handle. A washer could be used to help take up some or nearly all the lateral play of the handle on the shoulder if desired.

As for the spacer it can be a round bore large enough that fits over the square shaft of the correct width to fill the space so the lock will work.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.