More of nature

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: More of nature

Post by dusty »

I need a camera like this. We have a critter of some sorts that visits the back yard periodically. It appears to be a big cat (like I mean big). Can't tell with the monitors we have.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Now for a change of pace, spotted this caterpillar munching on some milkweed in our front yard. This is the second one we have found this year. Hope it survives to fly..........

https://youtu.be/wUw356mlKk8

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

On one of my walks I found some skunk hair. Can only guess that one of the young skunks was owl food. Great Horned Owls are active hunters of them so that would be my guess. I couldn't find the other parts but it could be that it carried it off. Often you can find the skull or some other bone mass but not in this case.

We do have red foxes, coyotes and red-tailed hawks in our area and they all will eat skunk but my bet is still on an owl.

Some years back we heard some noise on the roof late at night. Figured some critter had gotten up there but didn't feel the need to go out to look. the next morning a skull had rolled off the roof and on to the driveway. We think that was an owl but of course we can not be sure. The rest was no where to be found, again expect it was carried off. In this case it was an opossum and not a skunk.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:57 pm On one of my walks I found some skunk hair. Can only guess that one of the young skunks was owl food. Great Horned Owls are active hunters of them so that would be my guess. I couldn't find the other parts but it could be that it carried it off. Often you can find the skull or some other bone mass but not in this case.

We do have red foxes, coyotes and red-tailed hawks in our area and they all will eat skunk but my bet is still on an owl.

Some years back we heard some noise on the roof late at night. Figured some critter had gotten up there but didn't feel the need to go out to look. the next morning a skull had rolled off the roof and on to the driveway. We think that was an owl but of course we can not be sure. The rest was no where to be found, again expect it was carried off. In this case it was an opossum and not a skunk.

Ed
Skunks and owls are nocturnal so that makes sense.

Underlining for JPG. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 pm
. . .
Underlining for JPG. :)
I hope you have better luck 'collecting' 'bets'! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Talking of owls on roofs, I had an owl ruin the peak of my roof he wore all the granules off. When I reroofed I had them extend the ridge vents (aluminum) out to the edge. That solved the problem. Well I had to have the roof done again (yes in Florida you have to replace the roof about every 15-20 years) the roofer said he could not extend the ridge vents this time the code requires a set back from the edge. Well the owl is back hear him every night. I figure I will give him enough time to eliminate all the area pests then I will install an owl repellent.

Before you ask roofs are not controlled by homeowner or code but in my area by insurance they will not write a new policy on a asphalt roof older than 15 years and will not renew insurance on houses with asphalt roofs older that 20 years.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Went off on a Sunday walk. Put in about 15500 steps which included a visit to gravel bar that is really exposed due to our dry conditions. In fact it has been exposed most of the summer and a lot of new growth has been happening so a good deal of the gravel is covered over with vegetation.

You just never know what things will catch your attention. There were two things that I videoed here. First there were these black bugs that I normally see but only a couple at a time.

This is actually hard to watch with bugs going this way and that way. No idea what these bugs are called but this is the largest collection I have seen.

Maybe a Water Beetle??

A herd/bunch/mass or black bugs on the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_7kqp ... E.L.Reible

The gravel bar is in the Fox River near Yorkville IL and I saw literately thousands of these small fishes in and around the gravel.

Gravel bar is a natural and safe place for small fish to live

https://youtu.be/faZD-up7QVQ

Gravel bar is a natural and safe place for small fish to live. There were a lot of different sizes and types so I just picked these since they seem to be pretty easy to see in the camera view finder.

As with most of my youtube videos these are just short 30 second or so shorts.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:44 am Went off on a Sunday walk. Put in about 15500 steps which included a visit to gravel bar that is really exposed due to our dry conditions. In fact it has been exposed most of the summer and a lot of new growth has been happening so a good deal of the gravel is covered over with vegetation.

You just never know what things will catch your attention. There were two things that I videoed here. First there were these black bugs that I normally see but only a couple at a time.

This is actually hard to watch with bugs going this way and that way. No idea what these bugs are called but this is the largest collection I have seen.

Maybe a Water Beetle??

A herd/bunch/mass or black bugs on the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_7kqp ... E.L.Reible

The gravel bar is in the Fox River near Yorkville IL and I saw literately thousands of these small fishes in and around the gravel.

Gravel bar is a natural and safe place for small fish to live

https://youtu.be/faZD-up7QVQ

Gravel bar is a natural and safe place for small fish to live. There were a lot of different sizes and types so I just picked these since they seem to be pretty easy to see in the camera view finder.

As with most of my youtube videos these are just short 30 second or so shorts.

Ed
Black bugs - sprinkling?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

How about a 10 second video of a spunky skunk? Well I have one right here:

https://youtu.be/MfYYhwADl-U

Was this what you expected?

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This looks like the perfect fall colors to me, what do you think?
IMG_0776asc.jpg
IMG_0776asc.jpg (222.58 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
Ed