Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm ...As expected, the Mark 4 and the Mark V 520S both use the conventional “C” Headstock...
The Mark 4 is also available from the OEM with the PowerPro headstock at a higher cost. I think they are calling it Mark4P.(?)

When you upgrade to Double-Tilt, the way tubes do not fully seat into the DT Base Arms. I've wondered if this is true of a factory Mark 7 but don't know the answer. When I made a Mark 4 (previously known as a DT Shorty) I cut both Bench and Way Tube lengths to fully seat. IIRC the difference in tube lengths is less than 3/8" where it would be 3/4" on a regular Mark V/5 base. For this reason, the way tube length of the Mark 4 is unknown IMO.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

deleted(duplicate)
Last edited by JPG on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: duplicate(sorta)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:31 am
chapmanruss wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm ...As expected, the Mark 4 and the Mark V 520S both use the conventional “C” Headstock...
The Mark 4 is also available from the OEM with the PowerPro headstock at a higher cost. I think they are calling it Mark4P.(?)

When you upgrade to Double-Tilt, the way tubes do not fully seat into the DT Base Arms. I've wondered if this is true of a factory Mark 7 but don't know the answer. When I made a Mark 4 (previously known as a DT Shorty) I cut both Bench and Way Tube lengths to fully seat. IIRC the difference in tube lengths is less than 3/8" where it would be 3/4" on a regular Mark V/5 base. For this reason, the way tube length of the Mark 4 is unknown IMO.

- David
I wonder what the current way and bench tube lengths are on a new Mark 7(factory double tilt). Are they the same as is on the MVII?(52") or 52 3/4"

A little voice in the back of my head is saying 1/2" not 3/4"?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

TexasTransplant,

I am sorry to hear that the Rustoleum oatmeal color has been discontinued. I did that Goldie restoration over 4 years ago. Rustoleum has a gold Hammered Finish paint but I don't know or remember how it compares to the original Shopsmith Gold color. I'm not sure if I tried the gold color when testing colors.

EDIT: I have compared the Rustoleum Gold Hammered Finish paint to the Mark 5 Goldie's original color and it is not even close to a match. Not having a suitable color paint has kept me from doing another Mark 5 Goldie restoration. :(

David and JPG,

I don't recall any problem with the length of either the bench or way tubes not seating completely into the base and arms of the double tilt upgrade when I added it to my 2001 Mark V 520 a few years ago. Both of the bench tubes are seated against the stops on each end in the bases. I don't want to take apart the way tubes and arm parts but I believe they are fully seated too, IIRC.

The bench and way tubes of the Mark 7 should be the same length as a Mark V. The Double Tilt base and detachable arm was designed to replace the base/arm and headrest/tie bar of the Mark V. JPG, you would know better than I would if the 1960's Mark VII has different length bench and way tubes than the Mark 5 or V. I haven't owned one of the 1960's Mark VII yet.

I did see the the Mark 4 is available with the Power Pro Headstock too. Nice to not have the extra cost to change or upgrade from the conventional Headstock if you desire the Power Pro from the beginning.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
TexasTransplant
Bronze Member

Post by TexasTransplant »

Russ,

I tried the Rust-oleum hammered gold, but it is too much gold and not enough brown - that's why I tried the combination. From a distance that combo is not too bad, but a side-by-side comparison is readily noticeable. It might suffice for a total repaint job, but would not suffice for a touch-up on any surface that is normally exposed.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am ...I don't recall any problem with the length of either the bench or way tubes not seating completely into the base and arms of the double tilt upgrade when I added it to my 2001 Mark V 520 a few years ago. Both of the bench tubes are seated against the stops on each end in the bases. I don't want to take apart the way tubes and arm parts but I believe they are fully seated too, IIRC...
Not a problem, just the way it is, but this is from the DT Installation manual:

"Center the Way Tubes in the Pivot Arms. You probably noticed that you will be able to slide the Way Tubes Left-to-right about 3/8”. Follow the steps
below to center the Way Tubes:" (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/man ... _04-12.pdf) Page 10 starting at step 5.

That is how my machine that is upgraded to Mark 7 is, way tubes are centered, not seated. When I put DT on my shorty I needed to cut new bench tubes anyway (cuz it was a Greenie with large diameter tubes) so I cut them shorter to enable the way tubes to seat.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hmmmmmmmmm. I wonder if a current MarkV/7 with double tilt has way tubes 1/2' longer than earlier ones.(both bench and way tubes are 52 1/2").

If I were doing the conversion, I would be putting plugs(stops) in those bores.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:13 am
chapmanruss wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am ...I don't recall any problem with the length of either the bench or way tubes not seating completely into the base and arms of the double tilt upgrade when I added it to my 2001 Mark V 520 a few years ago. Both of the bench tubes are seated against the stops on each end in the bases. I don't want to take apart the way tubes and arm parts but I believe they are fully seated too, IIRC...
Not a problem, just the way it is, but this is from the DT Installation manual:

"Center the Way Tubes in the Pivot Arms. You probably noticed that you will be able to slide the Way Tubes Left-to-right about 3/8”. Follow the steps
below to center the Way Tubes:" (https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/man ... _04-12.pdf) Page 10 starting at step 5.

That is how my machine that is upgraded to Mark 7 is, way tubes are centered, not seated. When I put DT on my shorty I needed to cut new bench tubes anyway (cuz it was a Greenie with large diameter tubes) so I cut them shorter to enable the way tubes to seat.

- David
I did my upgrade in 2012 on a 1994 510. That is the way mine is also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David,

I must have read that in the instructions too, but just don't recall it now. Mine is probably the same. When writing responses I try to look up references besides checking actual parts to make sure I am getting things correct as my memory isn't what it once was or at least I think that is true. :confused:

In this case I only checked the Shopsmith itself and only the bench tubes. My bad.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Jacob Anderson just posted this video on the different Gilmer drive sleeves that were used on the Greenies and and early Goldies.

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,