3.5HP Router or Spindle Purchase???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: 3.5HP Router or Spindle Purchase???

Post by RFGuy »

roy_okc wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 pm RF Guy,

Thanks for passing along the info you got.

Wow, incredible response from Jess Em! The guy at Incra mentioned that he was trying to push for support for spindles, but of course Jess Em makes them and it sounds like they don't care.
Roy,

Thanks. Yeah, I was surprised to get a response from them, but they clearly don't know that some spindles can be more powerful than a standard router motor. I am going to try to take my Jessem lift out and explore different combinations to measure the size of the clamp mechanism. If there really is no combination of clamp positions that supports 80mm as an example then I will probably give up on the spindle idea for this table. Thanks again for all of your excellent info on this thread. It is appreciated.

UPDATE: I tried several combinations of moving the Jessem lift clamps but could not see any good way to get around the fixed positions inherent to its design. I am hesitant to try an 80mm or 100mm spindle with this because it would need some kind of spacer wrapped around the spindle to fit tightly into the lift. The risk of the spindle slipping and falling down is too great in my opinion. Looks like I will be purchasing the Milwaukee 5625-20 router. Thanks to all who gave me feedback on this thread.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

[quoteust curious...what kind of speed control do you use with it? Wondering if you use the router's speed control to set it at 18,000 RPM or if you use an external controller. Since mine will be inside of a dust cabinet inside of another cabinet, I was planning on leaving the router set to full throttle and using an external speed control to make it easier to adjust. I have seen a few Milwaukee owners who hacked into the variable speed control to wire in an external pot to make speed control easier inside of a cabinet with the onboard tach of the router. Jessem used to purchase this router and sell it is a spindle for router tables with a Milwaukee external remote mounted speed control, but unfortunately after Jessem stopped selling this, I heard that Milwaukee stopped selling bare parts for this so you can't easily assemble one without designing it.
📶RF Guy][/quote]
I looked at those options for remote control but I so rarely change the RPM from 18000, I have chosen to just set things manually. The only time I change it is if I am using really large diameter bits. Popping it out for a quick RPM change is no big deal and it gives me a chance to vacuum out the router and the chamber. I have pretty good dust collection but some residue is always left. I use a Jessem lift as well. Be prepared to do some surgery on the Milwaukee to get it into the lift. I can't remember all the details but it was more than I expected. I am pretty sure I had to break the case open to remove some of the router adjustment items so it would fit into the lift.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

sehast wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 pm I looked at those options for remote control but I so rarely change the RPM from 18000, I have chosen to just set things manually. The only time I change it is if I am using really large diameter bits. Popping it out for a quick RPM change is no big deal and it gives me a chance to vacuum out the router and the chamber. I have pretty good dust collection but some residue is always left. I use a Jessem lift as well. Be prepared to do some surgery on the Milwaukee to get it into the lift. I can't remember all the details but it was more than I expected. I am pretty sure I had to break the case open to remove some of the router adjustment items so it would fit into the lift.
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I figured I had to open the router case up to at least remove the router depth adjustment. I don't see any way it will fit in the Jessem lift. I believe the Woodpeckers lift has an opening in the clamping frame, but the Jessem one does not. I am thinking I will attempt to remove the speed control and relocate it remotely while I have the router open.

FYI....I placed my order for the Milwaukee 5625-20 this morning.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:10 pm I have gotten good use out of my Mark V mounted Shopsmith Router Table, but I am finally ready to retire it for a dedicated router table setup in my shop. I received an Incra LS Positioner Super System from my father-in-law who passed away and will be honored to continue using it in my shop router table. I also bought a Jessem MAST-R-LIFT™ II when it was on sale a while back. So, I am just finishing up the cabinet and about to install everything together, but I want to purchase a big, beefy router to power this setup. So, my question for this thread is that I am soliciting opinions on what router to purchase. IF you were building a new router table, which router would you buy today? Note this router will be dedicated to this task and I intend to use my router lift, so I really only need the router spindle, i.e. I don't care about extra features like a plunge base, etc. for the router. It will be dedicated to use in this router table only so I won't be swapping it in and out.

In the past, I have seen many online reviews coalesce around either the Porter Cable 7518 or the Milwaukee 5625-20 as the "best" router choices for a dedicated router table setup. Since Porter Cable announced last year that they are exiting the router business, I am disinclined to consider them and it looks like inventory has evaporated for them anyway. So, I am leaning towards this Milwaukee router which is 3.5HP and around $350. Reviews have been mixed for this Milwaukee router, but it seems like the negative reviews tend to be more production shops who had issues. My use would be far less than a production shop would have, so I am hoping those negative reviews won't apply for me. Anyone have experience with this router? Or are there other 3+ HP routers that I should consider? Alternatively, I was wondering if I should consider any spindle motors instead, e.g. as are commonly available for CNC's. However, I don't know if there are any of those that are better quality (more reliable, longer life, etc.) and would fit in my router lift. Any suggestions for routers?
Woodpeckers just announced a 3.25HP router motor designed specifically for lifts. Regular $269.99 on sale now for &249.99. If I remember correctly the PC 7518 motor was around $325. I have a 7518 in my router table. Bought it about 12 years ago. It is sad PC is out of business.

https://www.woodpeck.com/spinrite-router-motor-wg.html
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm Woodpeckers just announced a 3.25HP router motor designed specifically for lifts. Regular $269.99 on sale now for &249.99. If I remember correctly the PC 7518 motor was around $325. I have a 7518 in my router table. Bought it about 12 years ago. It is sad PC is out of business.

John,

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yeah, I saw it in my e-mail this morning...almost missed it. Guess I should have waited, but I already purchased the Milwaukee one which should arrive at my house today. I have never heard of Spinrite. Has anyone heard of them before? Looks like a very good deal though. Rockler also sells the Bora Portamate router that looks near identical to the Spinrite. I wonder which manufacturer is really behind both of those...

https://www.rockler.com/bora-portamate- ... CrEALw_wcB
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:56 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm Woodpeckers just announced a 3.25HP router motor designed specifically for lifts. Regular $269.99 on sale now for &249.99. If I remember correctly the PC 7518 motor was around $325. I have a 7518 in my router table. Bought it about 12 years ago. It is sad PC is out of business.

John,

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yeah, I saw it in my e-mail this morning...almost missed it. Guess I should have waited, but I already purchased the Milwaukee one which should arrive at my house today. I have never heard of Spinrite. Has anyone heard of them before? Looks like a very good deal though. Rockler also sells the Bora Portamate router that looks near identical to the Spinrite. I wonder which manufacturer is really behind both of those...

https://www.rockler.com/bora-portamate- ... CrEALw_wcB
From the picture on the Rockler web site it looks like theirs does not use the same collets as the Woodpeckers one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:10 pm
From the picture on the Rockler web site it looks like theirs does not use the same collets as the Woodpeckers one.
Yeah, the collets on the Woodpeckers one looked very nice. I wish Porter Cable was still producing quality woodworking tools and innovating in this space. I miss the PC of many years ago. B&D seems to be running them into the ground unfortunately.
📶RF Guy

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

John,

Thanks for the find! This appears to be the same body as the Bora Portamate, MLCS, Grizzly, and maybe more routers at around the same regular price. What sets it apart is its use of ER20 collets/nuts which, in theory assuming a well machined spindle shaft, should dramatically decrease runout. Also, the ER20 allows use of bit diameters from 1/16" to 1/2" (1-13mm) with the proper collet (looks like it ships with 1/4" and 1/2" collets).

The Bora gets fairly decent reviews over on Rockler, the most common drawback is people saying it's not as strong as a Porter Cable 7518 (RIP).

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUWslG_LI1Q
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Woodpeckers router. Will post initial thoughts when I get it.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Does anyone have any experience with using aftermarket collets? I believe there are a few brands (Elaire, etc.) that offer ER series collets that will fit my Milwaukee router. Anyone have any experience in mating aftermarket collets with their router, or do you have any company recommendations of ER collets that I should look at?
📶RF Guy