ShaperLabs

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

ShaperLabs

Post by reible »

For those of us who have the shaper origin this is the new software they have developed to assist in the computer aided portion of the design with a very simple easy to use interface. I started playing with it yesterday but right off the bat things went wrong.

I normally use firefox as my browser and it loads the software fine. But when you rotate the mouse wheel things go off in to never never land. The only solution I have found is the clear the canvas and start over. I have contacted them with detail and have received conformation that they will look in to it.

I tried it on my lap top as well and the same thing happens with the mouse wheel. The laptop has a touch screen and that functions correctly using the two finger pinch/expand. How ever as soon as the mouse wheel moves it is all over. The lap top is running windows 11 but the same version of firefox.

You do see a small amount of the drawing in the upper left corner of the screen and no you can not access it or drag it.

Then if you do the scroll wheel and then try to do a shape, say a square where it normally would have the width and height at 1" it says -infinity????.

So I have to guess they is a more wide spread issue then just me.

I then went to the site using the MS Edge browser and the mouse acts correctly there.

Have any one else here given it a try? And if so are you using firefox and getting it to work?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: ShaperLabs

Post by RFGuy »

IF MS Edge works fine and Firefox doesn't, why not just use it then? By the way, MS dropped their Edge browser and are using Chrome now, i.e. it is a Chrome browser with a MS Edge skin on it. Not uncommon to have some browser incompatibility issues. I tried using Firefox in the past, but often ran into issues with it not working correctly at companies that I worked at where internal websites and systems would not display correctly in it. I gave up and have used Chrome almost exclusively since then. In my limited experience, it has the least website compatibility issues compared to other browsers.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm IF MS Edge works fine and Firefox doesn't, why not just use it then? By the way, MS dropped their Edge browser and are using Chrome now, i.e. it is a Chrome browser with a MS Edge skin on it. Not uncommon to have some browser incompatibility issues. I tried using Firefox in the past, but often ran into issues with it not working correctly at companies that I worked at where internal websites and systems would not display correctly in it. I gave up and have used Chrome almost exclusively since then. In my limited experience, it has the least website compatibility issues compared to other browsers.
I concur! Browsers have been in a huge state of flux since…. well, at least since Lynx, a text-based browser that came out in 1992 and was the first browser I used before Mosaic came out. I used to use Firefox because it was the most compatible, fastest, and safest, but that was many years ago. I switched to Google Chrome because it attained those qualities. Then a year or two ago, Google decided to stop supporting some protocols that many sites used, because of security concerns, which I also highly value, so I have kind of become browser agnostic. I usually load three different browsers on my clients PCs and tell them that if They have problems on any site try another browser, and if that one gives them problems too, try the third browser. With the lack of full integration testing, like they used to do in the mainframe glass computer room days, it is really amazing that anything works. And that is what is going on today. Everyone is moving fast to bring highly technical features into their browser-based applications, both within the browsers and on corporate websites, and updates are coming out all the time. Then you have every computer owner installing all forms of programs, and browser extensions, that there is no possible way that anyone could do full integration testing. What this adds up to is lots of little pieces of computer code, on both the user’s computer and on the website, that all have to work together, and often they don’t play nice.

It really is wonderful that you were able to actually communicate with someone at the company, and if it’s that wide-spread of a problem, they will probably come out with a fix within the next couple of updates. But you can still use the program with Edge, so that’s good. This is the reason I always “prefer” to wait for others to do the beta testing before I install a major upgrade, unless I really have to install it so I can support my clients who like to live on the bleeding edge. The problem with bleeding edge is that you have to be willing to bleed.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have a half doz. designs ready to try on the shaper when I get the time. The cool part is all the artwork they have online. Type in the search box what you are looking for and then many choices come up to pick from. Of course they are lacking a lot of the tools that one might expect but it the early days.

This is pretty much an early release for people to find issues with and that was my first issue, not being able to use my favorite browser is not the end of the world but still they need to know something strange is going on so they can attempt to fix it or at the very least let people know that firefox is not support at this point in time.

I've done so much alpha and beta testing that it is second nature to deal with things and try to help identify issues. I know it not for everyone but I kind of like having the first look at things and making things better if I can.

Here is part of the announcement:

"Hey All

Today, we’re announcing the launch of ShaperLabs, an all-new testbed where we’ll be developing web-based design tools to create Origin-ready files faster and easier than before

It’s all super experimental at this point, but we’re excited to see if it helps your workflows. There’s only one catch—since it’s still in development, we’re not guaranteeing that these design tools within ShaperLabs will always be working reliably, and we’re not able to offer the same level of world-class customer support as with our other Shaper products.

This is why we don’t advise that you rely on ShaperLabs to complete mission-critical work at this time.

Want to give ShaperLabs a try? Register here with your ShaperHub credentials and we’ll give you access."

So yes very early days.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I hope you’re enjoying the beta (alpha?) testing. Thanks for explaining that the problems were expected, when I read your post I just heard that it was another software or computer problem. There was a time when I enjoyed such testing, but those days are long past for me. Back in 2006/7 I was talking with a good friend of mine, complaining about my failing business and how much I hated computers and she made a wise observation; she said “it’s no wonder you hate them, all you see day in and day out, for years, is problems.” Of course that’s not completely true, I do get to spec out and build new servers, cloud servers, and design secure and somewhat complex networks, and I sometimes do find some joy in that. But today I mostly find joy in the relationships with my clients.

I certainly understand the need for people to do testing, and as I said earlier I hope you are enjoying it. Back around 1990 I got to beta test software that later became AOL, and I was upset that they didn’t even give me a discount on their service when they went into production. If it were a different time I would have loved to work with ShaperLabs, I’ve always liked playing with the integration between computers and mechanical equipment. But I got into woodworking (and working on old equipment) to get away from computers. I do use Visio to design my projects and jigs, but I’ve used it for a long time and haven’t had to spend time learning new software. I would like to learn sketch up, but I don’t want to spend all the time sitting at a computer learning when I can be working on wood or old ShopSmiths. Today, just the thought of getting into CNC turns me off. If I had to make money from woodworking, quality and productivity would likely drive me into it, but all I see in it is another stressor. I think I may be leaning towards becoming a Luddite.

I really appreciate your, and the other experienced members’, advice and guidance as I learn about ShopSmith equipment, and I hope I’m not offensive in my responses. I don’t intend to be, bu I know I’m a little jaded sometimes, especially when it comes to computers.

Thanks.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

What's the link to shaperlabs?

Thanks
Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor