Troubleshooting 1955 model

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Serial289988
Bronze Member

Troubleshooting 1955 model

Post by Serial289988 »

Hi folks! Thanks for some amazing content, I have been browsing through threads and gleaning lots of good information. I have already downloaded a pile of pdf's for future reference.

I recently picked up a 1955 that runs, but is missing some parts (minor stuff like a chuck, lathe ends, disc sander). It is in fairly good shape and I have knocked off most of the surface rust and dust, polished all the way tubes and tables with Johnson Paste Wax. I intend on getting this tuned up since it is so old and probably needs a lot of basic TLC.

Does someone have a step by step list of things to run through in order to diagnose what needs attention? I am looking for a basic guidebook to walk me through determining what I will need to replace/repair.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Troubleshooting 1955 model

Post by JPG »

First and foremost is make sure the movable sheaves/shafts are well lubricated with light weight ,machine oil.

After that, what doesn't work correctly/what is excessively worn.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

There are several good videos on lubrication the sheaves on YouTube, just take your pick.

You'll take off the belt cover to do the lubrication. I don't know if the nameplate on the back of the headstock has an access hole behind it but take off the nameplate if it does. Before lubing use a vacuum, compressed air, and soft brushes to clean out the inside of the headstock everywhere you can reach. I'm recalling something about very old machines not having a lubrication hole on the upper sheaves and you just have to get some oil on the inner shaft and run the speed up and down to spread it around on the shaft.

After lubing the sheaves run it up and down the range of the speed dial a few times to get the oil spread around. It shouldn't take all that much effort to turn the speed dial from one end to the other, if it's difficult to take it through the full speed range then you have a problem to diagnose.

I'll say once again how I enjoying hearing about users who are bringing a Greenie back into use. Same way I started with Shopsmiths, and the Greenies were nearly 30 years younger back then.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Neither movable sheave has lubrication holes on the early greenies.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Serial289988,

You have already been given some of the most important things to start with from JPG and Ed. If you name (Serial289988) is the serial number of your Mark 5 it was made in February of 1955. That makes it a Greenie with the "A" Headstock. The "A" Headstock did not have the access hole behind the back logo plate to access lubricating the Idler Sheave and the back of the Speed Control. Getting to those parts means removing the motor pan and the belt to the motor from the main housing. Not a bad idea at this point anyway to get things cleaned out and properly lubricated.

If you don't have a manual for your Mark 5 a restored copy can be found at the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents. You will need a google account to access them. Under the Mark 5 category is restored Owner's Guides and yours will be the second release. Besides the documents there is always someone here to help.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Check out Jacob Anderson's headstock repair videos.

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,