Mark VII Caster Interference

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

miken
Gold Member

Mark VII Caster Interference

Post by miken »

Hi, after a year of searching eBay I finally found a full caster kit for my Mark VII for $50. All the parts seem to be in really good shape, but unfortunately, the wheels hit the end frame and wont pivot fully around 360 degrees. I was hoping one of Mark VII owners could tell me if this happens on your Shopsmith as well? Do the wheels in the picture look original and correct? Maybe they are not the right size? It's hard to imagine Shopsmith would not have seen this issue, so I am leaning toward the wrong wheels.

Any help is appreciated,
Mike -
Attachments
Wheel.jpg
Wheel.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Caster Interference

Post by JPG »

CLUE:
M VII CASTER.jpg
M VII CASTER.jpg (81.43 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:00 am CLUE:

M VII CASTER.jpg
That looks like the issue. Would you please take some measurements for me, or better yet, if you already know of the proper replacement wheels I could purchase? Greatly appreciated.
Mike
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mark VII caster plug dimensioned.jpg
Mark VII caster plug dimensioned.jpg (324.44 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
Dimensions are approximate(manually measured).

Drawing is from a caster addon from Magna American.

I think the piston dimensions are constant(both M5/V and MVII).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

Thanks JPG, I have been searching old posts for that very image, but it doesn't have enough dimensions. I found a pretty extensive castor thread where Dusty found some wider bed frame wheels that looked promising, but he wasn't trying to use them on a Mark VII, so thats not comparable. Any idea what the stem to wheel centerline dimension is (horizontal)? Also the top of the stem shoulder to the wheel centerline (vertical)? I think the wheel should be 2" exactly, correct? I will keep reading, but I am assuming nobody has ever found a direct replacement for the Mark VII wheels? If I can get the dimensions maybe I can modify the ones I have?
Thanks, Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I apparently posted the wrong pix.ccc

The wheel axle to stem center is about 3/8".

I think stem length of about 1 3/8" is correct.(= other casters without a plug)

Main issue is the caster should NOT bottom out on the caster shoulder(clear about 1/16").
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:28 pm I apparently posted the wrong pix.ccc

The wheel axle to stem center is about 3/8".

I think stem length of about 1 3/8" is correct.(= other casters without a plug)

Main issue is the caster should NOT bottom out on the caster shoulder(clear about 1/16").
Thanks JPG, I may try to re-drill and move the wheel over if I can't find a proper replacement.
Mike -
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I don't own a Mark VII, but just going off the picture here aren't these standard caster sizes? I mean it looks like an off the shelf 7/16" x 1-3/8" grip ring stem caster should fit it. Of course you would still need a caster spacer from the the Mark VII (part number 509606 I believe). Assuming you have caster spacers that are in good shape, why not try an off the shelf grip ring stem caster? I have been very impressed with CasterCity. I have bought several sets of their plate casters for my shop. They are good quality in my opinion and better than a lot of casters I have seen on other items I own. There are different wheel types available from them depending on how durable the casters need to be and/or if you need non-marring for the floor surface, etc. Below is a link to the style and size that I think would fit the Mark VII. Only thing with these I think they will raise your Mark VII up about a half inch assuming you were to go with their 3" wheels - they don't sell anything smaller than a 3" wheel. Just a thought...

https://www.castercity.com/stemcaster-model-l3/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:26 am . . . I mean it looks like an off the shelf 7/16" x 1-3/8" grip ring stem caster should fit it.
Thanks for the link RF Guy. I did find CasterCity via Google, but I don't see an option for L3 with a 2" wheel. I dont have the spacers, but I have a metal lathe and could make them, or get longer stems, shorten, and put a ball end on them. I did some searching but got frustrated and gave up. Nothing really seems to match what I need. Maybe the double wheel low profile 01PO20AB8191YY would work? I don't have all the dimensions needed, i.e. swivel radius. I will likely send them an email with the picture JPG posted. Maybe they can track it down?

Thanks, Mike
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

miken wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:13 am Thanks for the link RF Guy. I did find CasterCity via Google, but I don't see an option for L3 with a 2" wheel. I dont have the spacers, but I have a metal lathe and could make them, or get longer stems, shorten, and put a ball end on them. I did some searching but got frustrated and gave up. Nothing really seems to match what I need. Maybe the double wheel low profile 01PO20AB8191YY would work? I don't have all the dimensions needed, i.e. swivel radius. I will likely send them an email with the picture JPG posted. Maybe they can track it down?

Thanks, Mike
It is probably only around 0.5" taller with the 3" casters, but it just depends on the mounting plate height difference between what you have now and the new ones. IF height really is an issue, about the only thing I could find that might fit with a 2" wheel is at the link below. Yeah, I think you might have a hard time finding 2" wheel size in casters with that mounting style/size, but I could be wrong. Seems like most good caster companies have moved up to 3" as their minimum offering now.

https://mappcaster.com/collections/cast ... diameter-2
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor