My Ultimate Shopsmith Storage Solution

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdubnik
Platinum Member

My Ultimate Shopsmith Storage Solution

Post by tdubnik »

[ATTACH]3135[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3136[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3137[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3138[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3139[/ATTACH]

I mentioned a couple of times that I was working on a storage cabinet to hold my SS SPTs and accessories. I finally finished it yesterday. My goal was to have all of my SPTs in one place that was conveniently located to my Shopsmith. This cabinet will be located within 5 feet.

This thing holds a ton. I revised various parts a couple of times trying to get it just right for me. I am very happy with the outcome.

The SPTs are mounted on pull out trays supported by full extension drawer slides. I added a drawer to hold the various small parts, measuring tools, etc. The inside is lined with pegboard that is accessible from both the inside and from the sides which open up. The sides are actually doors that open and provide additional storage as you can see. They are each mounted on 4 heavy duty concealed hinges. The outside of the left door holds the connector tubes and floating tables.

The dimensions are 42" wide, 22" deep, and 91" tall. This equates to about 6.4 square feet of floor space which is much more efficient than my old method of placing them wherever I could find an empty spot.

The first pictures are in this post. Additional pictures follow.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 30061 times
Left Side.jpg
Left Side.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 29783 times
Left Door Storage.jpg
Left Door Storage.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 29762 times
Drawer.jpg
Drawer.jpg (159.11 KiB) Viewed 29692 times
Saw Blade & Shaper.jpg
Saw Blade & Shaper.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 29775 times
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

[ATTACH]3140[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3141[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3142[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3143[/ATTACH]

Additional pictures.
Attachments
Strip Sander Extension Table.jpg
Strip Sander Extension Table.jpg (163.51 KiB) Viewed 29635 times
Middle Tray.jpg
Middle Tray.jpg (160.47 KiB) Viewed 29564 times
Clamps & Featherboards.jpg
Clamps & Featherboards.jpg (101.33 KiB) Viewed 29564 times
Drum Sander Router Bit Storage.jpg
Drum Sander Router Bit Storage.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 29580 times
weelildaddy

Post by weelildaddy »

Bravo, Bravo Tdubnik. Beautiful preplanning, and execution. This should be an inspiration to us all.

Arno
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

Very nice.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
dusty
Platinum Member

The Ultimate Shopsmith Storage Solution

Post by dusty »

This looks to be a excellent solution to your storage needs. It not only organizes everything by giving it a home but it protects. Congratulations on a job well done.

The only criticism might me height and that would only be applicable for a shorty like myself. It appears that the jointer would hit me at about chest height and might be a bit difficult for me to manhandle (manage without dropping).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Chris
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

dusty wrote:This looks to be a excellent solution to your storage needs. It not only organizes everything by giving it a home but it protects. Congratulations on a job well done.

The only criticism might me height and that would only be applicable for a shorty like myself. It appears that the jointer would hit me at about chest height and might be a bit difficult for me to manhandle (manage without dropping).
It is a little taller than I would have liked but when I took measurements it pretty much dictated the height for me. I'm 6'2" so the jointer hits me a little over waist high. I put it on the middle shelf so I wouldn't have to bend for the bottom or be a weight lifter for the top.

You could probably build 2 sections side by side half height. It would take up more floor space but could work for a shorter cabinet.

For those interested, I also posted this project at Lumberjocks here:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/13258
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Looks great and usable. A job well done.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

Very impressive!!
cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

Wow! How many hours did it take you to design and build? Did you make drawings or sketches first?
cdmclain
North Texas

PowerPro Mark 7 & Mark 5 510, Bandsaw/PowerStation, Scrollsaw, Jointer, Pro Planer, Beltsander/PowerStation, Strip Sander, Ringmaster, DC3300