Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Post by rlkeeney »

What is the newest printed version of Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone By R. J. DeCristoforo?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Post by JPG »

Later 1989 version was based upon that work, but included new material from others.

The recent reprint is the same I believe.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

JPG wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:27 pm 1984

Later 1989 version was based upon that work, but included new material from others.

The recent reprint is the same I believe.
Would the 1989 edition have an ISBN number?
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

89 = ISBN = 0-936611-OO-6

LIB OF CONGRESS 88-064138
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The 4th edition Copyright 1989 by Shopsmith Inc. is the latest edition. The most recent printing which began in 2019 has the cover shown below with the Mark 7 on the cover. The information contained in the book is the same as the original 4th edition. Only the cover was redesigned.

_
2019 revised r.jpg
2019 revised r.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
The original printing of this latest cover version was missing pages 317 to 325 and the printer sent corrected copies to purchasers. I wanted to include this information for anyone purchasing a used copy with the current cover to make sure it is not one missing part of the Glossary and the Index.

The cover of the 1989 printing is shown below.

_
1989 Edition.jpg
1989 Edition.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
The ISBN number 0-936611-OO-6 and Library of Congress number 88-064138 JPG gave is the same for the 1989 and the new 2019 printings.

You can find the online version of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone here on the Shopsmith website at the link below.

EDIT: The new link is below. Previous link was no longer valid after the new website was introduced. The link in the following post quoting me is the old unusable link.

https://shopsmith.com/power-tool-woodworking/
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:42 am The 4th edition Copyright 1989 by Shopsmith Inc. is the latest edition. The most recent printing, which began in 2019 has the cover shown below with the Mark 7 on the cover. The information contained in the book is the same as the original 4th edition. Only the cover was redesigned.

_
2019 revised r.jpg
The original printing of this latest cover version was missing pages 317 to 325 and the printer sent corrected copies to purchasers. I wanted to include this information for anyone purchasing a used copy with the current cover to make sure it is not one missing part of the Glossary and the Index.

The cover of the 1989 printing is shown below.

_
1989 Edition.jpg
The ISBN number 0-936611-OO-6 and Library of Congress number 88-064138 JPG gave is the same for the 1989 and the new 2019 printings.

You can find the online version of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone here on the Shopsmith website at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/academy/introduction.htm
I found one on eBay. After I changed the ISBN to: 0936611006 Although it doesn't list the number of pages the price is so low I don't know that I care about the missing pages, In any case in the few dealings, I have had with Thriftbooks if there is a problem I think they would take care of it.

There are a lot of used ones on Amazon but I have found that some sellers (or maybe it is Amazon not caring) will list any edition that matches the title. I have purchased a lot of used books and generally have been very happy with them.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Only the glossary is affected.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:30 am Only the glossary is affected.
I don't think I need the glossary.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Robert,

I agree with you on thrift books. I have seen many copies of the different editions of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone for sale by them. Their prices have been extremely reasonable and includes shipping. Some seem to sell for less than the shipping cost. Since the only difference is the cover between the current printing of the fourth edition and earlier fourth editions (all copyright 1989) get whichever is the better price. Hopefully it will be in good or better condition.

There are cases where the edition is mis-labeled by sellers. I bought one labeled as the 1953 first edition only to have the 1955 second edition show up. It was so cheap (IIRC around $5) I didn't contest the sale and included it with the sale of a Greenie I restored. I have seen the author listed incorrectly too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I don't know how Thriftbooks makes money on books that I buy. I rarely buy a book that costs more than $5. The last I looked at media mail shipping started at $3.94 at the post office. I'm sure they are not paying that price. I can get it for a bit less than that. I have shipped more than 400 packages and I never pay the post office counter price.

This book sold for $4.78 out the door.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory