Drill Chuck attachment help

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Filliad
Silver Member

Drill Chuck attachment help

Post by Filliad »

Hello, I have finally gotten around to getting my shopsmith running and have fun into a small problem. The drill Chuck that was with it doesn't seem to have a way to attach. From what I can find it doesn't look like this is the original chuck but at the same time it looks modified to fit it as well. I've attached a few pics to hopefully help figure out what I have to do. I'm fine with getting another off eBay of I need to, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something first. Thanks!
PXL_20220109_045139956.jpg
PXL_20220109_045139956.jpg (157.05 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
PXL_20220109_045145442.jpg
PXL_20220109_045145442.jpg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
PXL_20220109_045200580.jpg
PXL_20220109_045200580.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Chuck attachment help

Post by JPG »

You do not have an OEM chuck from SS. Yours is a higher quality chuck but unfortunately it does not have the 5/8" bore to attach it to the SS. I believe it has a "JT" (jacobs taper) bore. I do not know of any adapter that will fit.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

That is a beefy chuck. Does that spindle/shaft unscrew from the chuck? Or is it one piece with the chuck. Almost looks like a chuck for an old blacksmith post drill press.
Filliad
Silver Member

Post by Filliad »

ShoptimusPrime wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:50 am That is a beefy chuck. Does that spindle/shaft unscrew from the chuck? Or is it one piece with the chuck. Almost looks like a chuck for an old blacksmith post drill press.
I have only tried separating by hand, not sure if it's screwed or press fit, it doesn't seem like it is one piece though. It looks like I'm going to have to get a new one, which is a shame because as you said, it's pretty beefy.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

on the area where it says No 14N rotate it and it should be stamped as to the mount. For about $10.00 you can get a Jt by MT 2 taper and then use the chuck in your tailstock but as JPG said there are no know Jt to 5/8 adapters available.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Did a little research - it has a JT3 taper. The adapter is removed by fully opening the3 jaws and then nudging it out by tapping with a punch/dowel and a hammer.(or use a press)

So JT3 to MT2 male both ends.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since you now know what Drill Chuck you have below is a picture that shows the different Drill Chucks supplied with the Shopsmith through the years. Any Drill Chuck with a 5/8" bore will work and that includes non-Shopsmith chucks most of which use an adaptor.

_
Drill Chucks unlabeled.jpg
Drill Chucks unlabeled.jpg (131.36 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
The above picture is unlabeled since yesterday I confirmed that my previous one was incorrect. Thanks, JPG, for the information.

The Drill Chuck on the bottom left is the original chuck assembly for the Shopsmith Model 10E from 1947. It is a Jacobs 33B Chuck on an adapter. That is followed by the three chucks in the middle of the bottom row the Jacobs 3326 Chuck. The difference on them is the set screw used. The Cushman Chuck on the bottom right replaced the Jacobs Multi-Craft Chucks which are the two on the top row to the left. The Jacobe Multi-Craft Chucks are different only in how the chucks are labeled. The three chucks on the top row from the middle to the right are the different versions of the current Drill Chuck Shopsmith sells. Again, the difference is how they are labeled and the one on the right is the current labeling. These are all 1/2" capacity chucks and use a key. All but the two on the left bottom row use a 5/32" Allen wrench for the set screw to lock them on the Shopsmith's spindle and have come with Mark series tools since the introduction of the Mark 5 in 1954. The other two (bottom row on the left) use a 3/16" Allen wrench and came with the Shopsmith Model 10E or 10ER.

Shopsmith also sells a 5/8" capacity keyless chuck. It can be found at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... _chuck.htm

Something to consider on which Drill Chuck to get is do you plan on using the Shopsmith Hollow Chisel Mortising System with your Shopsmith? The link below is given for reference. If so, it needs one of the regular 1/2" capacity Drill Chucks in the picture above except the original Jacobs 33B Chuck on the adapter. Longer Drill Chuck configurations will not work with the Mortise. That includes many of the non-Shopsmith Drill Chucks I have seen for sale.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... chisel.htm
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Filliad
Silver Member

Post by Filliad »

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help. I'll update when I get it figured out, who knows when that'll be though, free time is hard to come by, haha.
Filliad
Silver Member

Post by Filliad »

Of course as soon as I go and say I'll figure it out I have another question.

Looking around the internet I see I can get a 5/8" shaft to JT3 taper, then get a 5/8" coupling and connect it up that way. (So it would be Spindle-->coupling-->5/8" to JT3 taper-->Drill Chuck)

As I'm not well versed in machinery safe practices, would this be an acceptable way to join it all up? Just wanted to make sure I'm not trying something dumb.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The more "adapters" you have between the Spindle of the Quill and the Drill Chuck itself the more chance of having the end of the Chuck turning out-of-true. It would be best to have no adapters between the spindle and the chuck. One of the original chuck assemblies I have for the Shopsmith Model 10E from 1947 that includes the Jacobs 33B Chuck on an adapter has a bent threaded end on the adapter. As you can see in the picture the adapter is pretty beefy, but I cannot use it because it did get bent at some point.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.