Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone

Post by garys »

I have two copies of the book. Both are hard cover books. One has a blue cover and a 1953 date. The pictures in it are all of the model 10 Shopsmith.
https://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Ever ... B00HL5T1I4
1953.jpg
1953.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
The later one has a tan cover and no date I can find. It has pictures of the model 500.
https://angola.desertcart.com/products/ ... ed-edition
1983.jpg
1983.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Last edited by garys on Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And AIUI it preceeded the 1955 version.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

garys,

The first edition was written using the Model 10ER and was published in 1953. It is the one you have in your first picture. The second edition was rewritten for the Mark 5 and came out in 1955. The edition in your second picture is the 3rd and came out sometime after Shopsmith Inc. formed in 1972 but the date is unknown. It was likely in the early to mid 1970's. That was followed by the revised edition in 1984 and the 4th edition in 1989. The covers for the 4th editions are shown in my earlier post.

The difference between the 2nd and 3rd editions was the deletion of the chapter on Spray Finishing in the 3rd edition. Likely since Shopsmith Inc. didn't continue selling the Magna Sprayer which as a kit came with the air compressor, spray gun, 2 air hoses (5’ & 10’), dusting nozzle, tire inflator and garden hose adapter they didn't include it in the book any longer. The revised edition added additional chapters and the 4th edition included using the Mark V 510.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

In addition there is "Modern Power Tool Woodworking by R J DeChristoforo in 1967(I have the 1974 printing) LOC 66-30741 SBN 668-01701-5 which features the Mark VII.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Unfortunately, we tend to forget about other Magna/Shopsmith Tools and focus mainly on the Mark 5/V and some on the Model 10E and 10ER. JPG is correct and Modern Power Tool Woodworking would be a great edition to anyone's library who has or is interested in the Mark VII. Also worth mentioning here is the book Fun With A Saw also by R. J. DeCristoforo featuring the Magna SawSmith Radial Arm Saw. Both books are in my collection and someday I hope to have both of these tools in my collection.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I received the book yesterday. Faster than normal. It usually takes 2-3 weeks.

The cover is beat up a bit but otherwise, it is like new and all the pages are present.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Davesdewas wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:00 am I agree with you on thrift books. I have seen many copies of the different editions of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone for sale by them. Their prices have been extremely reasonable and includes shipping. Some seem to sell for less than the shipping cost. Since the only difference is the cover between the current printing of the fourth edition and earlier fourth editions (all copyright 1989) get whichever is the better price. Hopefully it will be in good or better condition.
Hmmm... This is a word for word copy of a post Russ made in this thread a month ago.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HandymanAJ
Bronze Member

Post by HandymanAJ »

Update...location for online version: https://shopsmith.com/power-tool-woodworking/
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

HandymanAJ,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. Interesting first post. It appears you have been looking around the site. I hope you have been finding useful information. As you have seen many of the old links referenced no longer work since the new website came online. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I have updated/edited the link (same as you listed) in my previous post for the online location to PTWFE. It can also be accessed/downloaded at the list of manuals from the following page https://shopsmith.com/manuals-information/ listed as Power Tool Woodworking Reference Guide. The printed book is still available from Shopsmith.
Russ

Mark V 520