High Hopes hose adapter to track saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

High Hopes hose adapter to track saw

Post by reible »

I'm a fan of the Festool track saw but..... the rotation hose connection can be a pain. Yes you can loop the hose and cord around your arm and that works fine but sometimes that is less then convenient, and that is when the frustration come in.

A lot of us resort to some tape to keep the swivel in the upright position. Yea that works but I really want a better solution. 10 minute workshop guy Peter came up with a as they say brilliant solution but not easy for us non-3D printer people. However it looks like things are changing.

I found one on Etsy but it was listed as a 36mm adapter. I don't often use that size hose for that application. I contacted the guy selling these asking if they had a smaller version for the 27mm hose. Turns out he had mis-listed them, they are for the 27mm hose. So I ordered one.

He thanked me for finding the error and is sending two red ones as a thank you. They should be here the week of the 16th.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1142086519 ... ef=hp_rv-1

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Re: High Hopes hose addapter to track saw

Post by sehast »

Nice find, but I have not had much of a problem with the with the stock connector. I use a strap support from the ceiling to keep the hose up out of the way most of the time or use the collection bag for short sessions since I have a cordless.
blackhawkhardware
Bronze Member

Re: High Hopes hose addapter to track saw

Post by blackhawkhardware »

Reible,

I want to once again thank you for catching my mistake in my listing. I hope that you like yours!

I designed, printed, and started selling the No Hose Snag adapters because I was irritated at the stock dust adapter rotating down and causing my hose to snag. I started doing the Sedge wrap the hose around your arm trick. Then thought this is stupid, why should I have to remember to wrap my arm around each time. A few prototypes later I had a solution.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1142086519 ... AUQAvD_BwE- No Hose Snag Dust Port for Festool Tacksaw - 27mm Cleantec Hose (I got it right this time Reible).

I am working on dual 36mm and 27mm versions. I am just waiting for Festool to ship me a 36mm hose so I can use test it for a few weeks to confirm it works. If anyone has any questions, requests or suggestions to improve it, just message me on Etsy, or email me at awilkerson (at) blackhawkhardware (dot) com.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: High Hopes hose adapter to track saw

Post by reible »

I've just been working on my TS55 this morning. I had cut some PVC and the saw had this fine gritty PVC swarf sticking to places. Vacuum took care of that. Then pulled the saw blade cover for pictures and then cleaned inside after taking the blade off and digging out a few areas that seem to collect dust inside.

Next I put on the new hose connection. We will get in to a little history and of course we have pictures to share.

When I first got the saw it had the swivel hose connector and it would turn how ever it wanted. I really didn't like it. Here is a picture of it:
hosc1.jpg
hosc1.jpg (107.07 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Then I read somewhere that they had a new and improved version that you could add to your saw. It had a fixed in place part and a swivel with detentes that connected to it. It was no where near strong enough to keep the hose from again doing as it liked.
hosc2.jpg
hosc2.jpg (152.25 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
hosc3.jpg
hosc3.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
hosc4.jpg
hosc4.jpg (116.07 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
I think this may come standard on some of the saws..........

The other issue was that you had to take the two parts apart to get it to fit in the case. I think you could buy a new liner that adjusted for that but I never did.

This is the new one that I hope will solve all these issues.
hosc5.jpg
hosc5.jpg (125.6 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
You can see the tab locations that hold it from turning. Once the cover is back on it is not going anywhere.
hosc6.jpg
hosc6.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
So far so good. Now to see if it will fit back in the systainer.
hosc7.jpg
hosc7.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Yep, now when it warms a bit more and I can get back to doing some cutting we will give it the big test of actual use. I think it will do fine at that.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Will it fit on the lower saw guard? The short angle would be ideaL FOR MY APPLICATION.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Hello Andrew

I wish I had this product for my track saws back when I was using them on a daily basis! :)

It's a long shot that you would have enough interest to merit the work for development, but if so, I would love to have a fitting that would work on the old Porter Cable Model#314 4 1/2" trim saw. Years ago, Dino from Eureka Zone had a video on YT and he had fashioned an adapter for the PC#314. As far as I know, he never listed it for sale.

Rob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dusty wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 am Will it fit on the lower saw guard? The short angle would be ideaL FOR MY APPLICATION.
Sorry Dusty but not even close.

Have you tried some 90 degree or 45 degree couplers?

I now have my adapter from shopsmith dust port to festool hose but too cold to be playing with it. The festool hose is really flexible so I think this will be a better solution for me. But if there were an angled port coming out of the shopsmith it could be a lot better.

Ed
blackhawkhardware
Bronze Member

RCZ wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:41 pm Hello Andrew

I wish I had this product for my track saws back when I was using them on a daily basis! :)

It's a long shot that you would have enough interest to merit the work for development, but if so, I would love to have a fitting that would work on the old Porter Cable Model#314 4 1/2" trim saw. Years ago, Dino from Eureka Zone had a video on YT and he had fashioned an adapter for the PC#314. As far as I know, he never listed it for sale.

Rob
Does the Porter Cable Model#314 4 1/2" trim saw have a dust port? I was looking at pictures and it doesn't look like it has one?
blackhawkhardware
Bronze Member

dusty wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 am Will it fit on the lower saw guard? The short angle would be ideaL FOR MY APPLICATION.
I am unsure what you mean by the lower saw guard. Can you post a picture?
blackhawkhardware
Bronze Member

reible,

Thank you for posting the pictures! I really appreciate it!

-Andrew