Anyone else have an OS3 cloud device?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Anyone else have an OS3 cloud device?

Post by reible »

I have two cloud drives. One is fine as it can and was updated to OS5. The other is not so lucky and is stuck at OS3 and as of April will only have local access. I started these back when we had another home in the UP of MI and spent enough time there that it was very helpful to have access to files from back home, and that ability to do backups to the cloud.

We no longer have that home and now with all the disruption to things we are not traveling at all so while it is still nice to have access it is much less a need and more of an occasional nicety. Both drives have 3 TB of HD space and while not full I can not fit the all data from the old drive on to the newer one.

I still have a few options. WD is going to give me 20% off a new cloud drive but it appears it will be a 8TB and still be rather expensive. That would allow me to fit both the existing drive data on to the one drive and do away with the present 2 or keep the OS5 one and end up with a lot more "free" space.

Option two would be to get a ?TB drive that I can connect via USB to the existing OS5 device. Keeping in mind that the older OS3 device is still available as a NAS so I need only move relevant data that I would like to access remotely to the new drive. I have no idea how much there is but it will be much less then the 3TB.

The other possibility would be to get another drive on my system and move all the things that I don't need to remotely access from the OS5 drive and see if I have enough freed up space to move the needed OS3 drive content that I would like remote access to, to the OS5 drive. More work but I would guess the cheaper option.

The cheapest option would be to do nothing and live without having access remotely. I expect that is how most "regular people" live.

I should mention that I no longer do backups to my local cloud remotely. So that is unlikely to change and thus negates one of my previous uses and lessens my "need" for a cloud connection.

So anyone else in this boat? Like to here what you are or have decided.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone else have an OS3 cloud device?

Post by garys »

It is impossible for anyone to "help" you on this without knowing all of your wants and needs. I would first determine how much space you are using and if that is enough, go with the best method that fits that size drive.
I have a network server that serves my needs for storage and backup. I also have another server that is available to me via the internet. Right now I find that the internet server isn't really needed anymore as we don't travel or need access to it via the internet. The local server gets used regularly for backup of files. Mine currently has a 1/2TB drive and since we back up only personal files, it still has a lot of unused space.
Figure out your exact wants, needs, and whatever, and make the decision from there.

My system is very space efficient. My main workstation that I spend time on every day has a 128gig hard drive, and with my operating system, all my software, and all my files, it is currently only about 1/3 full. I had a 256gig drive on it for years, but last year I upgraded the operating system to a newer version so I kept the old version on the 256gig drive and put it away in a drawer and installed the spare 128gig one for the newer system. I still have adequate space on the smaller drive.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I have had various NAS drives attached to my home network over the years, all fail finally due to out of date hardware not supporting some new
security/software change, or drives physically failing in the units. I'm no longer a fan of these local units.

I'm forced to have some sort of backup due to the inordinate amount of family photos the wife takes.

Google/Msoft/Amazon provide some base amount of cloud storage given you have one of their paid for products...have you considered
those?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For those not in the know, and I'm sure there are some of you who fall into that category, cloud drives can be accessed from anywhere with a pc or tablet or phone. Well except when the network is down or other access problems happen. So if you want your data or if you want to do say a backup or want to make sure you have a place to store things after your local disk fills up then this works fine.

NAS is local only but other wise is pretty much the same thing. Instead of connecting to your pc with a USB cable it sits off the network so anything you can reach with your local network. So if you are on say a tablet or a lap top you can access the same files on that NAS. You can also "mount" them so they appear as attached disks.

Since these drives are attached to your network they have have connection speeds defined by your local network. Yes you still have disk access and data rates dictated by the hard disk and associated latencies. For the most part you can stream off them with no problems for example.

I do have a icloud which I use for my backing up my phone and that is about all that goes there. Then I have 100GB of storage on Google. I like to keep my camera SD cards when full as a backup. Between times I store them locally on two different drives and then backed up on Google. I have been burned in the past with single point backups, photos are the exception with additional backups.

I believe MS also has given me some space, I used that more when I had an android phone and would back up there. That space might be full, haven't looked in a while. What ever it was it just the default. The icloud and google I pay for.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

As a quick count I believe I have access to about 20TB from this PC. A lot of it is due to my hobbies like photography, both still and movies that include my wildlife cameras. Then there are design files, graphic design files and history as well as other stuff I just can't bring myself to delete. I would say I'm not a typical user and we will not talk about my off line storage on DVD's.........

Ed
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I can not fathom 1 TB of data! I use a 5 GB cloud and only have 1GB and that is with three machines backed up on it. My phone is 16 KB and it less that half full. This iPad is 64k and right now I have 29k used.
I do not know but my guess is you could not view 1 TB of data in a life time. When I worked for IBM we had a computer that could hold everyone’s name and address in the world and while I do not remember the exact memory size I believe it was less than trillion bytes. At the time we had a printer that could print out all those names and addresses in 24 hours. Used huge rolls of paper and paper went through it like water.

I do not have a solution for your problem but you might consider trashing stuff you could never look at in a life time.😂
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

:confused: Ok Ed why? was IBM printing everyone's name and address? ? ? ? ? :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 pm :confused: Ok Ed why? was IBM printing everyone's name and address? ? ? ? ? :eek:
I think just to demonstrate the ability to do so. It had a wow factor that PR types love.
Hey do not let that worry you, what should worry you is the government ability to get and store every ounce of data on you including a picture and now after the Covid panic your DNA.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I was amused when the "fast" electrostatic(?) printer came out. the favorite wow point was it printed at the same paper feed rate as the earlier model's form skip speed. Ever done a skip without a control tape mounted? :D Box of paper WILL fill a small room!!!! :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 am I can not fathom 1 TB of data! I use a 5 GB cloud and only have 1GB and that is with three machines backed up on it. My phone is 16 KB and it less that half full. This iPad is 64k and right now I have 29k used.
I do not know but my guess is you could not view 1 TB of data in a life time. When I worked for IBM we had a computer that could hold everyone’s name and address in the world and while I do not remember the exact memory size I believe it was less than trillion bytes. At the time we had a printer that could print out all those names and addresses in 24 hours. Used huge rolls of paper and paper went through it like water.

I do not have a solution for your problem but you might consider trashing stuff you could never look at in a life time.😂
Are you sure about these numbers?

My first home built computer (back in the 60's) had 64k of memory.

My cell phone has 128GB of memory. I have 2.35GB of just Shopsmith photos on my desktop. My 2020 tax file is 775kb.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.