BigJon59's Model 10ER

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

BigJon59's Model 10ER

Post by chapmanruss »

BigJon59,

First off Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

This is from Dusty's original topic Magna Tools but is a bit off that topic. I have moved it to this thread to keep the information together for BigJon59.

You asked
I am wondering I have a model 10ER Serial Number 99272 will this fit any of the current Shopsmith components like lathe accessories? Also repair or owner manual available
Parts that attach to the 5/8" Spindle on the Quill for the most part are the same now as they were in 1953 when your Model 10ER was made although there have been a number of additions. The Lathe Drive, for example, has had only 2 changes since its introduction in 1947 with the Model 10E. Those changes are the set screw size and the addition of the black protective coating. I can use my Lathe Drive from my Model 10E S/N 1077 made in 1947 on my Mark 7 and a new current Lathe Drive on my Model 10E. The same is true for the tailstock centers. Now some parts are specific to the Model 10's just as they are to the different Mark series tools. The Lathe Tool Rest assemblies are different for the arm and posts, but the 8" Tool Rest is basically the same and is interchangeable. If you have questions about specific accessories, I would be glad to answer those.

As for an Owner's Manual a restored PDF copy can be found here in the Maintenance and Repair section under the topic at the top called Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. Everett has restored many Shopsmith/Magna documents for all of us to use free of charge. Look on his Google Drive and under the Model 10's group and copy the 10ER manual which will be closest to your Model 10ER. That Manual is from a bit earlier Model 10ER's, but the operation is the same and the changes to a few of the parts are not greatly noticeable. Just don't waste your money buying copies of any Manuals on ebay. In fact, one seller is offering PDF copies on CD's and are Everett's restorations available free here on this website.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.