Obtained a Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Obtained a Shopsmith

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed is correct. That is the old style Miter Guage Hold Down. A previous owner has upgraded to the newer style which is easier to adjust.

The Front Table Extension you have is the correct one. It will attach to both the main and extension tables.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
droughton
Silver Member

Post by droughton »

Thanks Ed and Russ!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

As Russ mentioned the front miter slot extension will work on the main and the aux table. You have both the new(wider) and the older(narrow) aux table. Realize it will only work with the older(narrow) aux table if it is readjusted(making it not then work on the main table until readjusted back).

Keep the older miter gauge hold down. It can do things the newer one cannot easily do.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

JPG wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:20 pm Keep the older miter gauge hold down. It can do things the newer one cannot easily do.
Got any tips on the old style? I have both but thought the newer one was easier and quicker to adjust.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There have been times when it was desirable to use the old style as a clamp for securing the workpiece without having to squeeze the grip thus leaving one more hand available for other endeavors. The knurled nuts provide a way to do that. The new version does not allow 'tightening' beyond the squeeze limit. Also the position locking is more robust.

I agree for 'normal' applications the newer one is a vast improvement.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I only had the old style hold down to start with. When I got a 510 with the new style I didn't like it at first because I was used to setting the depth on the hold down and using it to clamp down a board early in the setup. But after changing to thicker/thinner boards a few times I realized the new type was a huge improvement and I was only clamping down boards early in the setup with the old style because it was so annoying to adjust for different board thickness later on in the process after everything else was in place.

Has anyone tried replacing the post in the new style hold down with one from the old style so it can function both ways?
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Interesting idea Ed. If I understand what you are asking the answer is no. In this case you cannot put a square peg in a round hole. The old square threaded post cannot go in the "U" shaped Lock Clamp (part reference 265) of the newer grip assembly and be locked in place by the Knob. The old square threaded post can go into the Lock Guide (part reference 264) the same as the original one.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:42 am The old square threaded post cannot go in the "U" shaped Lock Clamp (part reference 265) of the newer grip assembly and be locked in place by the Knob. The old square threaded post can go into the Lock Guide (part reference 264) the same as the original one.
So then, if you really wanted this, and you had the square threaded post left over from an upgrade then it wouldn't be difficult to either drill out the Lock Clamp or fabricate a new one. The key part being that you really want it enough to justify the effort, it only has very limited utility for most people.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

One suggestion would be 0- clearance table inserts . you can make them with what you have .or purchase them online , by adding a 1/2 inch arbor you can also use a multitude of blades . JMO I went with a live center when using the lathe, I like the live center better . best tip I have to offer is not to get rid of the carriage or table when or if you upgrade, I have found a multitude of uses for set ups . FYI you can remove the table and carriage turn the headstock around re-install the table and carriage and use it as a router table with the right table insert . I have done this a few times and it works pretty good ,, by adding a sacrificial piece of HDP or wood to the fence will make things easier in just about all cuts , adding a T-slot to the sacrificial fence you can use stops , feather boards and your imagination . but the best advice I have to offer is to be safe and just have fun and enjoy what this tool has to offer . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

The easiest thing to do would be to simply keep the old Hold-down assembly as shown in the OP's post and with the turn of a single set screw remove the new Hold-down and replace it with the old one for those time you may want the way the old one locks down.
Russ

Mark V 520