Overarm router dust boot

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tcooper27
Silver Member

Overarm router dust boot

Post by tcooper27 »

Hi all,

I picked up a stand-alone Shopsmith overarm router today, the later model one with the under table mount also. It’s in pretty good shape but I’m missing the dust nozzle that mounts under the arm. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement or have dimensions of the original they can give me?

Thanks!
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Overarm router dust boot

Post by DLB »

tcooper27 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:22 pm Hi all,

I picked up a stand-alone Shopsmith overarm router today, the later model one with the under table mount also. It’s in pretty good shape but I’m missing the dust nozzle that mounts under the arm. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement or have dimensions of the original they can give me?

Thanks!
I have one and can get you dimensions. It looks like the same parts were used on the Mark-mounted overarm which was in production more recently. Therefore possible that SS has these parts available. This document has an illustrated parts list for that version: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/pro ... pgrade.pdf If they don't have the parts we can also use it to communicate exactly which parts you need. Note that the plastic safety shield on the front of the router mount also aids with dust collection.

Editorial comment: I don't love this. While it is probably compatible with the standard SS fence, I don't love that either. So for fence routing, either under or over table, you can do better. I use a JessEm fence which has decent dust collection for under table routing, as I'm sure most good fences do. Maybe someone else here has a better solution for dust collection. I want to make or adapt a better fence for overarm use but have not yet done so.

- David
tcooper27
Silver Member

Post by tcooper27 »

Thanks DLB. Dimensions would be very helpful. I can probably find a shop vac nozzle of a similar size and make some brackets out of aluminum angle to hold it on like the original part.

I called SS before I picked it up and the lady I spoke to said they had no overarm router parts whatsoever.

For the fence, I was going to start with building the one that's included in the blackboard of one of the old overarm router Sawdust Sessions and the normal 2.5" dust nozzle and see how that does with a shop vac. If that isn't enough I'll pipe in a 4" or 5" connection from my dust collector.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

OAR Dust Port.JPG
OAR Dust Port.JPG (300.81 KiB) Viewed 808 times
The rectangular (-ish) air inlet itself is 6-3/4" X 2-3/4" outside. Overall height jumps to 7" with the adjustment wings. Total depth is ~ 4-3/4". Note the cutout on the top to clear the height-adjustment part of the overarm. If you make the adjustment parts to use a generic nozzle it will still need an overall depth of ~3-1/2". I have such a nozzle (HD/Rigid brand I think) and it lacks the depth by a wide margin. Maybe a simple a shop made rectangular adapter plus the nozzle would work well.

Let me know if you need more detail.

- David
tcooper27
Silver Member

Post by tcooper27 »

Perfect, I'll see if I can find something that comes close. Thanks again
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I also have one, and agree with David’s assessment. I found the factory dust fitting to be all but useless, so for a while I just cable-tied a semi-rigid hose to the underside of the arm, and mounted the crevice tool from my shop vacuum on it. It wasn’t great, but it was better.

Later, I discovered and purchased a Loc-Line 2-1/2” hose kit. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think the combination of the ball-and-socket hose links, the long “snout” end, and a custom mounting bracket should work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-80813-S ... B01LYEMPY1
tcooper27
Silver Member

Post by tcooper27 »

Maybe I’ll just go straight to the 4” connection. I have 6” mains so I could probably swing a 4” above the table and a 4” below. The table would need a few more holes for that though.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Not impressed with the stock attempt at dust collection. As mentioned it is just above no use at all. The lower router and some sort of fence is pretty much like any normal router table. The top router is another animal.

With routers it is always where the dust is going to be going. Most fixed set ups do not work well, I would look for something that can be located where the path of the dust is. I have something like what Dennis mentioned that flexes but also can be bent and stays in place.

Not sure a 4" connection is going to help much be would like to hear back from you after you try it. I would not modify the table, it can be a little touchy as it is.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
tcooper27
Silver Member

Post by tcooper27 »

To follow up with this, I ordered one of those 4" semi-flexible dust hoses that look like a regular dust hose but holds its position once set. Powertec sells them on Amazon and Rockler calls them "FlexForm" hoses. I hooked up one end to my DC ducting and persuaded the other end into an oval shape so it would fit between the router arm and the table. Once set in position it will stay right by the bit or wherever you put it.

It's not capturing everything of course but the greater volume of air is sucking up a lot more than what I was getting with the 2 1/2 inch hose on my shop vac. This is on straight cuts with the fence. I'm sure collecting dust while pin routing is a completely different animal.