Near miss: foolish mistake

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sailseahawk
Gold Member

Near miss: foolish mistake

Post by sailseahawk »

After ripping a board this evening, I carelessly lifted it back across the still running blade. The board was across the garage in a heartbeat. Fortunately, I was standing to the side, a safety habit of many years, not in line with the blade. No, the splitter was not on. Only a glancing blow to my arm, and no damage to me. Lucky me. Splitter next cut, and more care. It could have been painful. Grateful I’m not in the ER at the moment. I know better than this. Sigh.
Attachments
979112B8-81C5-4CCD-8ABF-281569CFB78F.jpeg
979112B8-81C5-4CCD-8ABF-281569CFB78F.jpeg (494.69 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Re: Near miss: foolish mistake

Post by mountainbreeze »

Glad you are OK. It happens to the best of us. I was less lucky the last time I was not being careful and not using the proper tools.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This happens to some of us as an infrequent recurrence. Some people never learn. I have been hit in the gut on two occasions. Another similar experience can occur when ripping thin stock "between the blade and fence".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I think that this called educational reinforcement. Painful but it does remind us of our frailties.
I was doing some Toys for Tots projects a few years ago and was breaking down to do another setup and found one piece that I missed. I decided to make the table saw cut without putting the splitter back on. I made the cut and when I moved the piece from the table and it caught the top of the blade and spun and hit me just under my rib cage on the right side. The pain put me on the floor. I have never had the splitter off for a cut on the table saw again. " EDUCATIONAL REINFORCEMENT" My piece had the exact same gouge in it that yours has!!
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not sure how a splitter would prevent this.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

it would not completely prevent it but it may prevent the piece from contacting the blade at the peak of rotation. I always keep the splitter on when using the table saw. This time I was making a quick rip cut cause I missed one piece. So splitter and upper guard were just removed and I was in too much of a rush to get done. My biggest problem was hiding the nasty bruise from my wife. i probably would have been required to sell the shop. :eek: :D
Bill V
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Glad you're OK
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

the blade guard might have saved ya ? Had a small piece kick back once and hit me in the gut , good thing I was wearing my shop apron , it still took some hide and left me a reminder of how fast something can go wrong , glad you Ok !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

I sometimes think we should have a thread entitled "Stupid things I've done." Mine would be a very similar story to yours, except it involved a dado blade taking chunks out of the Shopsmith Push Block (the one with the rubber pad). I cringe every time I think of what would've happened if I hadn't been using the Push Block.
shackman66
Silver Member

Post by shackman66 »

davebodner wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:36 pm I sometimes think we should have a thread entitled "Stupid things I've done." Mine would be a very similar story to yours, except it involved a dado blade taking chunks out of the Shopsmith Push Block (the one with the rubber pad). I cringe every time I think of what would've happened if I hadn't been using the Push Block.
I could add a few. Most recent was freehanding log biscuits on the band saw, the one before was cutting something small on the mitre saw with a a factory fence.
MK5 344440 - 1956, MK5 100952 - 1981, Magna Model 610, Magna Model 620, Magna Model 630